Motor Car insurance quote,worth making that call.

thedaras

I got a quote in the post for the renewal of my car insurance.

I phoned them today and told them I had got a better quote.

They came back to me with a quote which is 142.38 CHEAPER than their original quote!

Who are you with? I am on the phone to Aviva at the mo and they don't seem to be moving an inch?

I got a quote in the post for the renewal of my car insurance.

I phoned them today and told them I had got a better quote.

They came back to me with a quote which is 142.38 CHEAPER than their original quote!

I have given up delaing with any company that does this, and most if not all of them do!

I tell them exactly why, because basically what they are saying is "Don't mind that renewal notice, its only a joke, now here is your real quote......."

Funny how you only get the "REAL" quote when you ring them.

Thanks to the net its so much easier now to shop around than it was say 5-10 years ago so it would make you wonder why so many of them still try to rip off their existing customers.

I suppose they still think there is money in it for them :(.

Who are you with? I am on the phone to Aviva at the mo and they don't seem to be moving an inch?

Im with the AA..
I did try to get it online but as you may see from another post,I was unable to imput my car details!

Also agree with other poster, I am presently insured through the AA,they sent me a quote,and a week later send me a lower quote,then I checked on line and got a much lower quote,then I rang the AA and they did even better.
I just don't know why they do not do this in the first place!
Possibly due to commission?

You would be amazed at the amount of people that don't shop around and trust their broker to offer them the best deal. Most brokers will only look at a small percentage of insurance companies. The higher the premium the higher the commission. And the customers just signs the form and sends it back, without ever phoning and looking for a better quote. Its up to everyone individually to shop around. Online is the way to go..

I use a broker. They do all that stuff for me, and for several years in a row they kept me with Hibernian, getting a substantial "loyalty discount". Last year they recommended a change, because Aviva would not give a sufficient discount to be competitive.

[doubledeb's post arrived as I was composing mine. Brokers vary. Mine operates with a flat fee rather than a percentage commission.]

Have you tried to get a quote online from aviva directly? sometimes you could save yourself more online, I am with aviva for 9 years, every year i shop around and every year they work out the best.

Thedaras, same here, got our renewal quote from Quinn few weeks ago, went on to bestquote.ie got a quote for over €100 less, phoned them to tell them and they brought their renewal quote way down so we stuck with them. defo worth making the call...

M

I use a broker. They do all that stuff for me, and for several years in a row they kept me with Hibernian, getting a substantial "loyalty discount". Last year they recommended a change, because Aviva would not give a sufficient discount to be competitive.

[doubledeb's post arrived as I was composing mine. Brokers vary. Mine operates with a flat fee rather than a percentage commission.]

Are they passing that fee onto your or the ins co though?... still worth a shot ringing them directly I think..

Thedaras, same here, got our renewal quote from Quinn few weeks ago, went on to bestquote.ie got a quote for over €100 less, phoned them to tell them and they brought their renewal quote way down so we stuck with them. defo worth making the call...

M

I did the opposite when this happened to me - told Quinn where to go, considering they had not bothered to offer me a competitive quote in the first place. I hate this "Oh you found it cheaper, well OK in that case we can match it, and ignore that we tried to screw you over earlier with our original amount". Sticking with insurance companies doesnt have any benefits with regards claims/quotes IMHO

Even though I have stuck with the original company who gave me the high quote,I still got it from them much cheaper than I could source online myself.
You are right though ,its hassle for the customer.

Every year my insurance co. play this bidding game, only instead of bids going up as in an auction room, the bids go down . I get quotes ,usually cheaper, on line , then advise them and amazingly, the quote drops and my insurance co and I are pals again:rolleyes:

Every year my insurance co. play this bidding game, only instead of bids going up as in an auction room, the bids go down . I get quotes ,usually cheaper, on line , then advise them and amazingly, the quote drops and my insurance co and I are pals again:rolleyes:

As per my earlier post I will not continue to patronise these companies and always tell them "where to go" and the reason why.

I cannot understand why anybody would deal with a company that so blatently tries to screw their existing customers.

Consider this, if a retail or service provider was consistantly "chancing his arm" trying to overcharge you and only dropped his prices when you challenged him (after spending time yourself searching) saying you can get it cheaper elsewhere, would you continue to do business with him?

Good business is based on trust and loading a clients policy for no reason other than trying to extract the maximun out of them, when they can clearly provide the service cheaper, is hardly conducive to building trust in that provider.

I cannot understand why anybody would deal with a company that so blatently tries to screw their existing customers

I thought that all the insurance companies try to extract the max initially. Anyway, business is business and I don't take it personally. As long as they are prepared to drop their quote I will save the hassle of changing insurance for another year;)

I do take it personally and there is no hassle involved to switching - make a few calls or get a broker to do it for you. Thats how they get away with it, consumer inertia, same with banks. Its always too much "hassle" to switch, yet people constantly complain about how much their insurance is.....

Back