Motor Car insurance question - Planning to help nephew to get his own wheels

JimmyB99

A couple of questions please:

1. What sort of price range/ballpark are we looking at for a fully qualified first-time driver with no NCB (named driver up to now)?

2. Does, being autistic, affect the price (and, if so, to what extent)?

A couple of questions please:

1. What sort of price range/ballpark are we looking at for a fully qualified first-time driver with no NCB (named driver up to now)?
Impossible to say as there are too many variables such as personal details, vehicle details, address etc.
Best to just shop around online as widely as possible and maybe via a broker or two to get an idea of the going rate.
2. Does, being autistic, affect the price (and, if so, to what extent)?
Unless there's some specific reason for this condition to be divulged to the insurer (check the application form and policy terms and conditions) I don't see how/why it should.

Hi,

You're looking anywhere from 1,700 plus depending on the car, where they live, and their age.

Are they under or over 25 years of age?

If under 25, you might need to get a telematics box fitted to reduce the price.

Check if their current insurer will consider the NCB if taking out a policy with them. Some other insurers will give a discount for named driving experience, but many don't have it on their web quote forms so just remember there might be other options if you phone or go through a broker.

On the autism question, my understanding is that it will not affect the premium. There is a lot of equality legislation in Ireland, and I don't think insurers are allowed to charge more based on a disability. However, it will need to be disclosed if it impairs their ability to drive. I would suggest contacting one of the ASD charities to see if they've any guidance from the insurance industry on this.

Impossible to answer on the information given. Other variables that may affect the premium are:

Area of residence
Age, make & model of car
Age of driver
Car usage

There are insurers who allow a discount for the number of years accident-free as a named driver and any medical diagnosis that may affect driving will tend to increase the premium charged.

Some previous threads that may be useful...

Back