Car Insurance - Effect of address on quote?

Berni

I've had a car insurance quote from AA Insurance of €930, with an address in Dublin. Rang them today, told them I'd moved to Maynooth, and they now want €1040! Are they having a laugh or is this normal? I was expecting it to stay the same or lower.

Ha! Exact same experience myself with Glennon/Axa. Previous address was Portmarnock, was delighted with my renewal quote, told them I would be moving to Maynooth and it jumped a few hundred euro. Got a better deal with.........the AA!

Guess Axa just don't like Maynooth so - thats who mine is with too.
(And with an open claim on the policy they have me right where they want me:mad: )

I think the logic is that the majority of the present generation in Maynooth are likely to be daily commuters to the big smoke so you spend longer on the road so bigger risk. If you think about it makes a bit of sense. Do you on average do more annual mileage than the average city resident?

I think the logic is that the majority of the present generation in Maynooth are likely to be daily commuters to the big smoke so you spend longer on the road so bigger risk. If you think about it makes a bit of sense. Do you on average do more annual mileage than the average city resident?

No. I get the train to work everyday. Same as I did in Portmarnock.

When I asked 'are you serious' I was told that Kildare dwellers were higher risk-which is fair enough-but it was the actual increase (in or around 15-20%) that I was unhappy with.

Guess Axa just don't like Maynooth so - thats who mine is with too.
(And with an open claim on the policy they have me right where they want me:mad: )

Sorry-I am getting confused-my previous policy was with RSA-my new policy (arranged through the AA) is actually with AIG.

Well I work near Mulhuddart, so my commute has halved from an hour to 25 mins. They don't care, all they keep repeating is "some areas are riskier than others"

When I asked 'are you serious' I was told that Kildare dwellers were higher risk-which is fair enough...

hmmmm... is this fair enough? The insurance companies seem to decide risk on many factors such as age and location... but why not eye colour, taste in music or favorite sport etc?
I'm sure the risk would vary according to any criteria but they are free to pick the criteria which they will apply...

Back