Car damaged by branch of tree from public park

paddyc

My car was recently parked on a public street, was gone for a couple of hours and when I came back it had been damaged by a branch off a tree. Not sure if the branch fell off due to being rotten or if people were working on the tree. But the branch came down, over the railing of the park and onto my car and another 1 or 2 cars also I believe.

The damage to my car is in the region of €550 (don't have the quote with me at the moment) Initially the people dealing with the park said to get a quote and send it into them and they would deal with it, when I got the quote and rang the said to claim off my insurance and that my insurace would claim from theirs. However I was onto my insurance and they advised against this as it would count as a claim against me and they may not be able to re-coup the amount from the parks insurance.

So before I get back onto the park maintenance people, looking for their insurance people to claim directly from them, I want to know if they refuse to co-operate can I take them to the small claims court ?

Back