Home Car broken onto, lap top stolen

chrisboy

My gf's car was broken into today and her laptop stolen. Can she claim this on her house insurance? I only bought it for her on Friday..:(:mad:

Where was the laptop? If it was on display you almost certainly will not be covered. Report the theft to the cops and then get her to check the small print in her insurance.

Where was the laptop? If it was on display you almost certainly will not be covered. Report the theft to the cops and then get her to check the small print in her insurance.

No it wasn't on display,it was underneath the seat, the guards were the ones who rang her to tell her the car was broken into, so they have it on file now.. They think they know who took it so they're looking for him now before he flogs it..

If you paid for it by credit card it might be covered.

Check your terms and conditions.

Marion

wont be covered on the house unless she specified it under the All Risks section since you bought it for her.

Despite what other posters may have said, i am sorry to advise that in all liklihood, this loss will not be covered, whether the item is specified or not. The vast majority of household policies will exclude theft from a motor vehicle unless the item was in a locked boot at the time. Do check your policy though. Not familiar with credit card insurance, but that would seem that is your best hope at present. Also, as earlier suggested, make sure that this matter was reported to the Gardai and do get a "Pulse" number from them.

Did you have unspecified All Risks cover? Was your laptop specified on your household policy?

A lot of house policies will automatically include a certain amount for unspecified all risks.
Some will exclude laptops from this. Some will exclude them unless they are in a locked boot.
Some will exclude them unless they are not in full view.

Pick up the phone, call the insurance company and ask them. They will be in the best position to advise the terms and conditions of their policy.

Back