Car accident

staunton

Hi all,
Bought a car and was bringing it to garage for a few jobs before it was roadworthy.
I had no insurance and while I was parked someone hit it.
I rang the number left and was told there would be no problem paying for damage. Everything was captured on cctv. However it is gonna cost a bit more than I anticipated to repair what seems like a minor fault.c.750 euro.
Was just wondering would my lack of insurance leave me vulnerable in any way if the other party opted instead to claim from his insurance.
No garda were invloved and I have a copy of the cctv footage.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

your claim will still have to be dealt with by his insurers.

I think that you are highly iresponsible to be driving without insurance. You are worried about a delay or a problem in collecting a small sum of money from an insured motorist. What about if roles were reversed, who would pay for the damage you would have caused?

If gardai are involved in accident, either called by you, garage or other motorist, you could be charged with having with no insurance, which is a court punishable fine ( not on the spot) and also carries a heavy penalty point loading.

Please ensure that you arrange insurance before driving car from garage and do not be a burden on all lawfully insured motorists.

I too can't believe you'd drive without insurance. All you have to do is ring your insurance company and tell them that from "X" time tomorrow, you'll be driving a different car and the Reg is "Z" and they will change it over automatically. If you'd never been insured before, you would have surely have gotten quotes and decided which company you were going to go with. In that scenario, you'd have phoned said insurance company and told them you were picking up a car tomorrow, quoting the Reg etc.

That said, I can't see how you should have any problem if the person said they were going to pay for it.

Recently, someone took all the paint off of the side of my car & they asked me would I go to a panel beater that was a friend of theirs to get the job fixed. I'd no problem with that, because after all that was all that I wanted. So, if they suggest they know someone that will do it cheaper than your estimate and for you to go there, I'd go. At least you are sure it will be done and that they payment will be arranged between the two of them.

If a 'friend' fixes car what happens when there is a disagreement about quality of work?

Back