Cancelling Dual Mortgage Protection Insurance on sold house

Blinky

I took dual life mortgage protection insurance with Zurich on our house. My ex-wife and I divorced and I was paying the insurance yearly until the hose sold. The last payment was for over €700 on December 1st and the house sold early January. I contacted Zurich to cancel the policy to obtain a refund for the unused 10 months(about €580) but was informed my ex-wife needs to approve it as well as this is the way it was set-up.
Why would my ex-wife need to approve as the house is no longer in our name and there is no longer a mortgage. My ex and I are not on speaking terms and will not voluntarily do anything to assist me.
When I took out the insurance I requested dual life, not dual approval to cancel it.
Shouldn't a policy be cancellable automatically if there is no property still to protect?

The contract with the insurance company is nothing to do with the house ownership. It's a joint policy and the company have no concern as to who paid the premium. Any refund due would also be made to both parties.
Shouldn't a policy be cancellable automatically if there is no property still to protect?
See my earlier comments. House ownership is irrelevant to the policy!

Another item to add to the list of things in the judicial separation/divorce docs:)

Back