Can you claim tax relief on bin charges?

The revenue have a text message method of getting bin charges relief [broken link removed], might beat trying to get through to them by phone.

I am looking to claim tax relief on bin charges the two of us work do we both sign up for it or just one of us ?

I presume you split the charges whatever way you share them (e.g. 50:50) and claim relief in your individual amounts.

As far as I was aware the refuse credit is not based on a flat rate under the tag system, it is subject to a limit of €195 so if you spend more then you only receive €195 @ 20% , if you only have recipts for €150 you will only get €30 however if you are not on a tag system you can get relief on the whole annual bill, so if you annual charge is €400 then your relief is €80. Queried before as to how they would know, it appear that Revenue know which areas are covered on bill pay and which are on tag system. I have not heard that it has changed.

As far as I was aware the refuse credit is not based on a flat rate under the tag system,
Yeah - as far as I know it used to be flat rated but is now based on the actual expenditure on labels/tags. I think they changed this last year or the year before and it wasn't obvious.

yes everything is split 50/50 so is it best just to let one of us claim it ours is charged yearly and per lift the bin has a chip on it

Last edited:
Can we still claim for tax relief on bin collections where the management company doesn't provide an exact cost for bin collections after requesting for a fee breakdown. Apparently, the management company doesn't know the cost as it is not fixed????????????

As far as I was aware the refuse credit is not based on a flat rate under the tag system, it is subject to a limit of €195 so if you spend more then you only receive €195 @ 20% , if you only have recipts for €150 you will only get €30 however if you are not on a tag system you can get relief on the whole annual bill, so if you annual charge is €400 then your relief is €80. Queried before as to how they would know, it appear that Revenue know which areas are covered on bill pay and which are on tag system. I have not heard that it has changed.

How does this work in terms of period covered by charges ? For example, I paid for the 6 months June-Nov, and recently paid for Dec-May 2007.

Can I claim tax relief on both payments for the 2006 tax year ?

Back