Can we afford kids?

All my maternity clothes are hand me downs from sister in law or from charity shop in spite of both myself and husband being "working professionals" . . .and by all accounts I look pretty good in them too :) If it's good enough for me baby will be fine. . . . . .all baby's stuff is hand me downs. Some of it is originally Mama's and Papa's too :p

<Quite often, friends who had kids before you are quite happy to donate these. Ebay is also extremely good.>

no one wants hand me downs anymore btw .. im sure two working professionals would want there own stuff for there child, as i did, but when sacrafices have to be made you will go to all lengths to do it.

That is just not true - myself and my colleagues (all very well paid professionals) have been busily handing down (and accepting) baby gear. I bought very little new. Talking among people I know, it is very common.

Apart from the cost issue, there is an element of reuse and recycling which is also very pertinent. Why on earth would people want 'everything new'? The baby gear I was given all looked almost new!

I do think childcare and/or loss of salary is the overriding financial consideration though. The cost of the baby gear pales into insignificance in comparison.

I have to chime in here in support of hand-me-downs and not spending a fortune. All you need first is a moses basket (second hand), plenty of vests and baby-gros (Dunnes and Penneys are fine, and no need to spend more than €50), a buggy (second hand) some blankets (Dunnes/Penneys again), and a car seat. Best to buy a new car seat and have the shop fit it in your car. You will probably get plenty of presents of clothes for dressing up. Don't spend a fortune on the first buggy, bacause you won't be using it for any longer than a year at most. Then, as the other poster said, you can't beat a lightweight Maclaren fold-up. My babies never quite made it into a cot, preferring to sleep in our bed, but that's not for everyone. Consider breast feeding - free, far far better for the baby, no fussing with sterilisers and other paraphanalia, plus you get your figure back in a matter of months, if not weeks. At six months, you'll need a high chair - again, safety and hygiene are the considerations, nothing else. Nappies are a significant expense, but worth it obviously :) .

I'm an older mum because I just wasn't ready when I was younger, but you seem to be ready and I'd agree it's better for both children and parents to have them younger. Don't let money put you off. But equally, I'd say, after a few years get back to part-time work, for your sanity, independence, and your own money to spend. Perhaps you and a friend could cover the childcare for each other if you both work part time at different times, for instance. Staying at home full time can be quite isolating. And, God forbid anything should happen, you need to be able to support yourself.

PS You can buy a second-hand cot or use a hand-me-down if you can get one, but do buy a new mattress.

Another update:

Later than originally planned (due to a few health set backs & my redundancy) we are planning our first. So at the moment its all planning,taking folic acid and continuing saving :) We are hoping to get pregnant by the end of the year. Will be breastfeeding and using cloth nappies and have no problems with hand me downs from friends or relatives so not as preoccupied with the initial costs as I was. Obviously as they get older they cost more.

Since my original post I was made redundant and my husband has taken a 10% paycut. But our bills are now lower, debts are cleared and we have savings so we're gonna bite the bullet and start our family.

Thanks for all the input from everyone at the time-it helped to get all your opinions!

Good to hear an update as often we don't. Best of luck to you on the exciting journey of parenthood!

Good luck with whatever decision you make. There is no right or wrong time to have your children. It will change your life completely. Little time for each other and enjoying the freedom that you could have had.
I had my first baby at 21 and dont regret it but life changed completely and money was always an issue. It will definately put strain on your relationship - but if you both love children you will cope with this.
Who knows what lies ahead - which ever way you choose there are risks. My daughter recently had her first baby and is finding it a great strain to do all the chores without any financial issues. You may be the perfect mum and enjoy every moment and settle for less.
We have three grown up children and spent every day of our life with them, holidays etc.. We miss them every day, though we both have very active lives, and I still work.
Good wishes Browtal
Best of luck

25 and you want to have kids! Your kidding me. Seriously. As others have said wait. Heard so many cases of young couples splitting up recently.

Wait, get to know each other as a married couple, save but spend a little too. Enjoy life for a while.

There is no right or wrong time to have your children.
Best of luck

Having kids when you are finacially secure and are best able to provide for them and have the maturity to understand the difficulties involved is the right time to have kids.

25 and you want to have kids! Your kidding me. Seriously. As others have said wait. Heard so many cases of young couples splitting up recently.

Wait, get to know each other as a married couple, save but spend a little too. Enjoy life for a while.

You seem to have mis-read the thread - the OP posted this thread 2 years ago - she is now 27. She has clearly put a lot of thought into this and starting a family young is quite obviously something they want to do.

The "young couples splitting up recently" could always happen! And it is most likely due to current job losses, depression, financial strain, etc.

This is an interesting thread. I bet the people who rejected hand me downs might have a different opinion now. I would also happily accept hand me downs even if I am a professional. I also don't agree that people need to be "young parents", so many first time parents are not necessarily young. I think it's up to an individual as to when they want to have their children. I'm the same age as the OP and I've decided I'd like to wait 5 years before trying as we want to enjoy our new house and our time together just the two of us, enjoy some more child free holidays and build up some savings so we are in a good position when (hopefully some day) a baby comes. Does that make me less maternal because I want to be older, I don't think so. Does it mean my other half who will be in his 40's by then can't play football, of course not. It's just what we think is best for us, maybe selfish, we enjoy it alot just being us and our dog. To Mrs M good luck and enjoy the trying! I have a sister who got pregnant 6 years ago while they were not exactly financially ready and they have had a very happy 5 years with their little boy. You'll be fine, it's going to be lovely and money will be fine since you are sensible with it.

Mrs M. the very best of luck to you. You'll make a great Mum and Dad as you both seem so full of common sense.

I had 3 children in quick succession and did not have the funds to fork out for the re-usable nappies. To this day I am sorry that I didn't, because when I add up the cost of the disposables over the 4 years of nappies versus two or three sets of re-usables, I would have saved a fortune. IMO I was just stupid not to buy them. If you investigate them and think you'd be happy to use them, maybe ask for a set as a baby gift......just an idea!! But I know that they are not to everyones taste.

Good luck. There's a lot of support and tips out there on sites like rollercoaster.ie for people who are using cloth nappies or buying/selling stuff. BTW I have a moses basket I'm trying sell if you're interested.

You seem to have mis-read the thread - the OP posted this thread 2 years ago - she is now 27. She has clearly put a lot of thought into this and starting a family young is quite obviously something they want to do.

The "young couples splitting up recently" could always happen! And it is most likely due to current job losses, depression, financial strain, etc.

27 is still too young IMO

a tracker mortgage at 5.1% seems high these days.
edit.....just noticed the date of the 1st post..... sorry

It's not about age, it's about being ready and mature enough to have a baby and understand the effect it will have on your lifestyle. The OP is married, with their own home and want a baby. How can you say that is too young? Age is only a number.

I can see it from both sides, so I half agree with you ;) The majority of women in their 20's (be it early or late) would prefer to begin their family before 30. The chances of conceiving reduce the older you get, you have less energy, etc. there are many factors that contribute to a decision as big as this.

While the OP shouldnt be in a rush start her family I'm getting the feeling she is ready.

Hi again :)
actually I'm 28 now and would be 29 when we would have a baby assuming there's no complications. I don't feel like its too young..its just moving onto a new stage in life which we are both ready for after 10 years of enjoying ourselves and "living"
Meant to say also, the mortgage payments are now 930 a month with the tracker rate. And I got a gas bill this morning for 20euro as the previous one was estimated (and was 140) so we have really gotten that down-I'm delighted with that. I usually take a reading myself about half way through a bill & work out how much we're at so I keep a good track on it.
I have already researched the cloth nappies & have definitely decided on them and mad as it sounds I already have baby clothes stored away!

thanks everyone

You seem an incredibly organised and sensible mum to be. The very best of luck to you!

Back