Can Siblings See a Will

A

AnyideaUser

Hi My mother didnt benefit from the will of her mother and father, country way the son got it all, but my question is can my mother ask to see the will and if so where would she get a copy?

Thanks

The solicitor of her mother would have a copy but I am not sure if she would be legally allowed to see it. Just call the solicitor and ask.

Is there any where else a copy would be besides the lawyer, small town afraid the brother would find out. Would the siblings not be listed on the will so with the freedom of information act they are legally entitled to see it no? As anything with your name on you have a right to see it, or would they even be listed if they did not benefit at all?

Doesn't FOI only apply to state bodies? Not sure that it's relevant here. Unless the estate went to probate and the details are available on some public record now?

well i did a will two years ago when my daughter was born. i got a copy of the will and my solicitor kept the original. i appointed two executives who would have the right to look into the will and would also look after the administrative stuff if i'd pass away. so what your mother can do is find out who the executives are for the will. there is one at least in place and maybe it is even a person close to her i.e. who she has a good relationship with and could ask questions. if not, again, i would recommend to contact the solicitor. im not 100% sure but 'd say there is a clause that if your mother requests information from the solicitor that he/she cannot give details out to the brother regardless.

i'd say she has a right to look into the will...i am surprised though - was she not invited when the will was read? i would have thought the children all have equal rights when it comes to the reading even if she would not get anything.

If she was entitled under the will, the solicitor or executor would have contacted her. Do you think that someone is being dishonest here and that she was actually entitled to something but someone isn't telling her? I think that's v unlikely.

AFAIK, Freedom of Info does only apply to public bodies.

Adult children don't generally have rights to anything under a will. Perhaps the executor will pass her a copy if she knows them well.

Sprite

If she was entitled under the will, the solicitor or executor would have contacted her. Do you think that someone is being dishonest here and that she was actually entitled to something but someone isn't telling her? I think that's v unlikely.

AFAIK, Freedom of Info does only apply to public bodies.

Adult children don't generally have rights to anything under a will. Perhaps the executor will pass her a copy if she knows them well.

Sprite

She would have been asked to the reading alright she didnt go and regrets it now and now wants to know what was in the will but doesnt want her brother to know she is enquirying. Not sure who the executor is.

If the will has been put through probate she can obtain a copy at the local probate registry ( usually the local courthouse) for a small fee. It is then a public document and any one can get a copy.

If the will has been put through probate she can obtain a copy at the local probate registry ( usually the local courthouse) for a small fee. It is then a public document and any one can get a copy.
What does put through probate mean?

Hi My mother didnt benefit from the will of her mother and father, country way the son got it all, but my question is can my mother ask to see the will and if so where would she get a copy?

Thanks

OP by the way you say " son got it all" I take it that the will has been dispersed to the beneficiaries. If this is the case then the local probate office can let you see the file. you can get copies of most of the documents
but there are some exceptions,

hope this helps,

Westgolf

Back