Home Can insurance co refuse to pay out?

O

onlythedon

My brother built a house and got a local man to plumb it instead of the main contractor. A year later and they have had numerous problems with leaks and it appears that the piping was faulty to begin with. He has contacted his insurnace company to see if they will payout to have the house replumbed but they are saying it is not their problem. Is this the case? Is there any other way he can claim money towards this without suing the initial plumber? Thank you.

I would assume you pursue the plumber and claim from his insurance.

Do you have an invoice? That should have some info to follow up on, especially his professional body as they should also be able to give some advice.

I can't see this being grounds for an insurance claim. The house insurance would cover replacement of damaged items but would never cover faulty items like plumbing, pipes, leaky rads etc (trust me... I know!). They are always at your own cost. I would recommend pursuing the contractor for damages & perhaps involve your solicitor.

My brother built a house and got a local man to plumb it instead of the main contractor. A year later and they have had numerous problems with leaks and it appears that the piping was faulty to begin with. He has contacted his insurnace company to see if they will payout to have the house replumbed but they are saying it is not their problem. Is this the case? Is there any other way he can claim money towards this without suing the initial plumber? Thank you.

Yes and No.

Do you really think it would be fair for an insurance company to pay out for this?

plumber seems to have used faulty piping, if that is the case, then sue plumber and let him join in the supplier of the piping.

Back