Can I make old storage heaters efficient?

M

mrsd0810

can i jump in here and ask a few questions.. my parents are on state pensions and they did get the storage heaters fitted by the esb about 20 odd years ago.. they are totally inefficient now, they got an esb bill for a 2 month period of €668.. they just obviously simply can't afford that any longer..

my question is for those who have storage heaters new or a few years old.. how do you find them?? and does anyone know if you can and who could replace the stones on the inside??

Re: ESB charge €20 for storage heaters and €200 to get rid of them.

I would suspect that you might as well replace the whole storage heater rather than the bricks (or stones as you call them). You need to be more specific on the break down of the ESB bill. In my reckoning a storage heater costs about €1 a day to use so about €60 for each two monthly bill. The latest heaters have an input and output dial with them so you can supposedly lower the input to lower your bill. (I have not tried this so cant comment on its efficiency or how much you would save). You could use less/none of the heaters and try another form of heating ? Switch them on every second day ? See if the have an input/output dial and put the input to the lowest setting.

Back