Can I give tenants a discount of the amount increased by rent review?

There's even a lower risk that at some point the RTB will seek access to Revenue records if there is widespread reporting of gaming the system to try circumvent RPZ controls.
Revenue guarantee taxpayer confidentiality at all times except in very limited situations eg publication of defaulters lists, and don't share their records with other state agencies or anyone else.

As far as I know, there is a specific provision in the Residential Tenancies Act to allow the RTB to pass data onto Revenue including details of tenancies, rents and landlords. Obviously, that's one way traffic, and Revenue can't pass taxpayers' details to the RTB.

The risk (and it is a small one) is that the tenant reports the rents paid to the RTB if you ever tried to increase the rent. I can't see the RTB accepting that a notional rent that only exists on paper and is not matched by the actual rental payments is the actual rent.

There's even a lower risk that at some point the RTB will seek access to Revenue records if there is widespread reporting of gaming the system to try circumvent RPZ controls.
That's why each of the parties signed a document or lease stating the rent.

That's why each of the parties signed a document or lease stating the rent.
But if practice shows the tennant is paying less and you haven't challenged them on arrears, then it doesn't matter what was written in a contract some time previously.

But if practice shows the tennant is paying less and you haven't challenged them on arrears, then it doesn't matter what was written in a contract some time previously.
so explain to me if a tenant does pay any rent or pays a token €100 a month and refuses to pay anything else. Does that mean after two years when the landlord gets such a tenant out of the property, that the new rent is €100 a month (cause that's what the practice shows the previous tenant is paying)

so explain to me if a tenant does pay any rent or pays a token €100 a month and refuses to pay anything else. Does that mean after two years when the landlord gets such a tenant out of the property, that the new rent is €100 a month (cause that's what the practice shows the previous tenant is paying)
No. Because the landlord would have challenged them on arrears.

What I think @Leo means is that if you set a contractual rent of €1000 and give a discount of €100 every month consistently then the de facto rent is €900, not €1000.

What I think @Leo means is that if you set a contractual rent of €1000 and give a discount of €100 every month consistently then the de facto rent is €900, not €1000.
Exactly that. The RTB won't be fooled by any discount scheme designed to circumvent the legislation.

Ye are really creating a problem here. The RTB can't be ar$ed checking two addresses and seeing a rental increase of 40+% from tenancy to tenancy. I know this because of know of properties where this occurred and nothing happened. If the RTB cant even check a property using a simple Eircode or address match and see the rental price history, then they are not going to go to the lengths of the "he said - she said" that ye are suggesting above. Sign a tenancy agreement for €1000 a month. If you receive €900 a month, declare this to Revenue and pay tax on it. 12 months on, re-register with RTB at €1,020 (or whatever permitted increase) and repeat above. Simple as. Anything other than that, please supply links to legislation or court reports that show RTB will do what you are suggesting.

But there wouldn't be any arrears, quite the opposite if payment was made early.

Its a common enough practice to encourage settlement so why couldn't it be used to reward good tenants. If a similar term was included in a lease agreement is there anything in the rta legislation that would make it illegal?

If the tenant paid early they get a small reduction. If the rent is paid on the due date, no discount. If the rent is late, then a late payment fee is applied. So it is in the tenants interest to pay early to avail of the lower rent and a landlord's interest to be paid.

If the initial rent was set at market rate and all rent reviews were in compliance with regulations, correct % and notified to RTB, how could they have an issue?

So landlords would maintain the rent threshold for any future tenancies or sale, at the same time recognising and rewarding a current tenant who keeps to the contract terms, rather than the current situation, where rents are not increased for valued tenants and then the rules change and a landlord is forever stuck at below market rates.

Last edited:
Show me where in the tenancy legislation allows for late payment penalties.

I've seen several lease agreements in the past few years with a clause about late payment fees and also admin fees for unpaid standing orders.

Does the RTA say that cant be done?

I know a few tenants that would be interested in this, one guy had questioned it before and was told the legislation restricts deposits to the equivalent of one months rent and the amount of rent increases, but that's it. So if you have specific info it would be helpful.

Last edited:
Does the RTA say that cant be done?
The legislation deals with arrears procedures and the landlord is limited to claiming for arrears, expenses 'reasonably incurred' in pursuing the
arrears, and/or costs for damage / repairs.

The legislation deals with arrears procedures and the landlord is limited to claiming for arrears, expenses 'reasonably incurred' in pursuing the
arrears, and/or costs for damage / repairs.

That guy just told me Threshold said it was not illegal that his lease included terms for admin fees, no pets, no smoking, no carrying on a business, allowing viewings if house was for sale or for new tenants, or several others.

Last edited:
That guy just told me Threshold said it was not illegal that his lease included terms for admin fees, no pets, no smoking, no carrying on a business, allowing viewings if house was for sale or for new tenants, or several others.
No mention of late fees there. Don't confuse admin fees with late payment penalties.

Its not a bad idea - you could offset it for them by offering to put 600 euro into their ESB account or something. Or include bins/tv license.

But there wouldn't be any arrears, quite the opposite if payment was made early.

Its a common enough practice to encourage settlement so why couldn't it be used to reward good tenants. If a similar term was included in a lease agreement is there anything in the rta legislation that would make it illegal?

If the tenant paid early they get a small reduction. If the rent is paid on the due date, no discount. If the rent is late, then a late payment fee is applied. So it is in the tenants interest to pay early to avail of the lower rent and a landlord's interest to be paid.

If the initial rent was set at market rate and all rent reviews were in compliance with regulations, correct % and notified to RTB, how could they have an issue?

So landlords would maintain the rent threshold for any future tenancies or sale, at the same time recognising and rewarding a current tenant who keeps to the contract terms, rather than the current situation, where rents are not increased for valued tenants and then the rules change and a landlord is forever stuck at below market rates.
Would still suggest doing it a different way - eg, you pay for broadband or bins or some other sweetener that doesn't effect the headline rent.

Would still suggest doing it a different way - eg, you pay for broadband or bins or some other sweetener that doesn't effect the headline rent.
You're right, it's probably easier that way and less admin for a landlord.

Last edited:
Back