Can I get the supplementary pension at age 60?

Cailte

I have searched the threads for an answer to my question, couldn't find anything so apologies if this was raised before. Should I reach the age of 60, I will have 32 years service. I really don't want to stay working until I am 65 but as I pay Class A PRSI, I get part of my pension at 60 and the contributory pension at 65 (or is that now 68? I think that applies to PS employees who started working from 2004). Am I correct in thinking that I would get a supplementary pension between ages 60 and 65, until the Contributory pension kicks in then?

Cailte,
yes (under current rules), you should be eligible for a supplementary pension until you receive benefits from social welfare and do not work after retirement. I would suggest that you request a benefit statement from your HR department now.

Evening

Not sure what my preserved pension age is - 60 or 65?

I joined the Civil Service in 2000 - is my preserved pension age 60 or 65?

I joined the Civil Service in 2000 - is my preserved pension age 60 or 65?

All schemes are different, in the HSE anyone hired before 2004 would have a min retirement age/PB age of 60.

Youd have to find out from your employer

Cailte,
yes (under current rules), you should be eligible for a supplementary pension until you receive benefits from social welfare and do not work after retirement. I would suggest that you request a benefit statement from your HR department now.

Evening

Are you sure about this. I though it only applied from age 65 to 66. There was a raft of Class A prsi payers who retired from the HSE last February. A lot of these were in their early sixties. They were told by the various HR depts that they should apply for unemployment benefit. They would get this for 12 months & would then have to apply for dole, which is means-tested. and, if the lump sum was still invested the would get sfa dole. To me that smell of a cop-out by the HSE:mad:

They will all most likely get very sick, and collect illness benefit for two years, followed by Invalidity Pension till 66. None of these are means tested, and most civil servants are aware of this option.

You seem to forget about the little inconvenience of having to persuade your own doctor, and the Department's doctor that you are very sick.

Back