Calculation Tax Rebate after Maternity, Parents Leave and Unpaid Annual Leave

mrheisenberg

My wife's maternity leave is due to end at the beginning of March. She is in public sector employment with circa €70k salary and I am in the private sector on €70k.

We are jointly accessed and my wife has had her wages topped up during maternity.

I believe our tax credits have been adjusted during this time.

Can I get your help to calculate the tax rebate we would get if she went on Parents Leave and Unpaid Annual Leave. We are trying to work out if it is financially viable.

Thanks for any assistance.

My wife's maternity leave is due to end at the beginning of March. She is in public sector employment with circa €70k salary and I am in the private sector on €70k.

We are jointly accessed and my wife has had her wages topped up during maternity.

I believe our tax credits have been adjusted during this time.

Can I get your help to calculate the tax rebate we would get if she went on Parents Leave and Unpaid Annual Leave. We are trying to work out if it is financially viable.

Thanks for any assistance.
Assuming a standard tax credit situation. One spouse not working increases the working spouses income (assuming over €50k) by

1875 (PAYE credit)
1800 (home carers tax credit, only if you have child who received child benefit payment)
9000*0.2% = 1800 (higher cut off)

So if you’ve an eligible child your net pay would increase €456 per month on a full year basis.
If you do not, it would increase €306 per month on a full year basis.

but if she was receiving mat benefit and being topped up by employer, so surely some/all has been liable to tax, so if she went on unpaid leave then whilst you could use some of her tax credits, your total income would be down net, but as she is going on unpaid at the end of march, she has some income for 2024 that can be allocated against the higher bracket where 2 people working/getting paid,

but if she was receiving mat benefit and being topped up by employer, so surely some/all has been liable to tax, so if she went on unpaid leave then whilst you could use some of her tax credits, your total income would be down net, but as she is going on unpaid at the end of march, she has some income for 2024 that can be allocated against the higher bracket where 2 people working/getting paid,
Yes, that true. I thought OP was just looking for longer term impact on household income of single vs dual income.

If you’re looking at 2024 in isolation and she goes to end March on full pay followed by 0 pay
The very rough estimate of the rebate she’ll be due at the end of year is.

(70,000/12*3 - 43,000/12*3)* 0.2 = 1,350 (this is essentially the proportion of her Jan - March pay charged at 40% that will ultimately drop to 20% when she doesn’t exceed cut off threshold at year end)
+
€3750 * 9/12 = 2,812 (proportion of tax credits that won’t be used by end March which she’ll be able to claim against tax paid in first 3 months). Some of this will go back to her until her income tax bill goes to 0. C. 1,200. Remaining €1600 will pass to OP.

So at end of 2024 combined you’ll get roughly €4.2k plus a small bit of a reduction in USC but nothing worth talking about.

This all assumes you currently are taxed on your own individual basis and are not already passing any credits or standard rate cut off to each other which is the revenue default for two earners well above cut off point. EDIT: it also assumes no pension contribution deductions which would reduce her tax and therefore refund. Would need to provide historic payslips to a financial advisor for anything more accurate

After that one-off 4.2k refund for 2024, for future years the monthly increase in net income is per original calculations on a full year basis of her not working.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Yes to be clear, my wife proposes to use the 7 weeks parents leave and then maybe 4 weeks unpaid leave (if financially viable this is what i rally need to work out) and then return to work. What is he best way to calculate the tax rebate for this? Also do you need to wait until the end of the year to do a return on Myaccount to get this rebate or could it be got sooner?

The tax deducted is cumulative for most, so when she is not working/earning then those allowances are aggregated and next salary full calculation is made less what's been paid to date.
It's not really a rebate, it's just your assumed to earn your income evenly over 12 months so allowances allocated accordingly, but if you don't work/get paid for say 3 salary payments, then the next one you receive you have the previous allowances and bands to use up, so would pay little tax, but at the end it's the same after tax income if you only got paid 75% of the salary over 12mts,

Back