Buy shares directly or spread bet?

BobbyFowler

I recently posted a query related to Spread Betting. My share dealings up until now have been minimal & not particulary successful (Eircom, Nortel, Baltimore). The majority of my current savings are distributed amongst the various Quinn Life Funds & are performing very well. There is a particular share listed on the AIM in London which I am looking to invest in. I would put 50K into this & would expect to sell the share before the end of the year. I realise there is a risk in this - I would not need to borrow money to finance it. My question is the best way to go about doing it. The most straightforward route seems to go and purchase the shares via a broker. I see there is also the Spread Betting product. While I can access the 50K straight away if required, I like the idea of the Spread Betting model which means you don't have to stump up the whole amount upfront. I opened up 1 of the Spread Betting Demo models earlier & have been playing around with it. My impression of this idea is that it's for quick executions & I have a concern of the costs of keeping a large stake on the Rolling Daily Option before I decide to hopefull cash in with a profit. If anyone has any further advice on this, I would appreciate hearing it.

Back