Business travel insurance

Olympian

Company I work for provides a range of services to clients.

In some cases the services are delivered from the company offices and in others company staff are based on client site (in these circumstances company staff would generally be at client site full-time for duration of contract).

Where a client requires a company staff member to travel for work purposes, say to an overseas office of the client for a meeting, who should be responsible for providing business travel insurance in such a circumstance? Client or the staff company

Staff company. Why would the client? There is no obligation to provide travel insurance and what would the requirement be? Its more important that their employers liability covers you when abroad than travel insurance.

you are travelling on their dollar so you arent at a loss if the flight is delayed or cancelled. The only thing you have to be concerned about is your personal belongings, for which you should take out your own policy.

More concerned about getting hit by a bus and the consequence of something like that e.g. repatriation etc. I have personal health insurance that has overseas cover for emergency hospital admission but doesn't go beyond that.

My previous employers were all large US multinationals who contracted a travel assistance company that provided a 24 hr emergency contact in case of emergency. Never had to use it but reassuring that a service was available.

Current employer is a SME so hasn't contracted with an emergency provider.

Typically how would employers liability cover take care of a situation such as being hit by a bus with repatriation for example?

It wouldnt in the strictest sense. An employers liability only acts when there your employer is deemed legally liable for the incident.

Most travel insurance policies provide a 24 hour travel assistance number, but they wouldnt repatriate you immediately or on request, you would be sent to a local hospital and treated accordingly.

On large corporate business travel/personal accident plan you could probably specify a repatriation benefit and limit. But the policy would be bespoke and you wouldnt be able to get that type of cover as an individual seeking to purchase it.

Back