Burnt by Person Sharing With - Finding New Place after Redundancy

She doesn't because I told her I have no plans to leave right now and I didn't even give her a hint of this so no worries about that she doesn't want me to leave since she said I was best tennant she had in 8 years in the place.

I went to a couple of viewings today and maybe another on Sunday so we'll see, so far though everyone has been asking for working references which is where I fall down so far, which sucks since one person I saw this morning was very keen, which is kinda getting me down a little bit.

People worry about your ability to pay, thats why employment status is discussed. Offer 3 months rent up front. You havent said what your field is for employment so I dont know how likely you are to get employment quickly.
People also worry about wear and tear on the home, the last thing they want is to come home themselves each day and find you laying about.

If you lie and say you are employed, while I am not suggesting that is a good idea, you can a) give a friends details and ask them to provide a reference and b) get up and leave the house each day to cover your tracks. Go to the library etc. If you are based in Dublin, Cineworld offer unlimited movies for €22 per month lots of free or cheap activities you can do. Or tell them you are working from home and spend the day on your laptop looking at the jobs boards and sending off applications. Alternatively they will probably be out at work themselves so how will they know if you are there or not?

You seem like a decent person so I dont think lying will sit easy with you, but it sounds like you need out of your current situation pronto. You said one person seemed keen to rent you a room today, did you speak to them about your current work situation, what was their reaction?

On the other hand, tell your current landlady that if she so much as looks at you sideways you will report her for social welfare fraud and she will lose everything! That should soften her cough for her. Won't make for a very pleasant home life though. Remember you are in control, she has far more to lose than you do. Get a small unit and move any valuables into storage ASAP if you are worried about what she might do.

Still think you should report her when you are out of the situation. People like her make my blood boil!!

When I'm replying to ads I'm mentioning I'm happy to provide a bigger deposit and in addition because of my situation I'm giving consideration to shorter term duration (3-4 months etc) till I get a new job as I'm better off somewhere else for 3-4 months with over €700 coming in via Social Welfare than being here for 3-4 months when my cash runs out with no income. I also figured such shorter options may be more open to my situation.

The person I saw today was very very positive until I mentioned the situation with work and whilst she didn't reject me out of hand, it definitely hasn't helped my chances. I will find out the middle of next week I am told. It's difficult because I feel that I am being punished through no fault of my own and I am the one who has to deal with all the stress etc finding a new place and being made feel bad for being made redundant.

I actually thought redundancy would be great for me because I could finally unwind, travel and relax for a couple of months before starting work again, but the fact I couldn't claim JB essentially puts me in a difficult situation with that because I don't know when my next income is going to be and that worries me. You're right though I hate lying, which is why I feel so useless in all this. I'm trying to treat her like normal whilst also planning leaving behind her back.

Don't worry, I will report her when I am out, just need to get out first:)

I have plenty of proof of address here, phone bill, bank statement etc.

I looked at hostels but I have a lot of stuff and having somewhere to store it is going to be hard and I wouldn't want to leave it all in a dorm to be honest.

I know that she is not entitled to kick me out but at the same time she has gave off the impression I might be severely intimidated if I put up any kind of fight.

If I could claim JB and I knew they wouldn't almost straight away stop her cash which would lead her to turn on me aggressively or in an intimidating way, I'd have claimed already.

My point is I cannot risk that scenario and risk damage to or theft of my property.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news in your time of distress.
From what you have told us, it would appear to me that you are a licensee/lodger in the property which she is renting. As such, she is your live-in landlady and she may withdraw your "licence" at any time - that is, she could evict you with immediate effect, should she wish.

Back