BUPA gone - switch to VHI or Vivas?

AlastairSC

Family of 4 - ages 46, 45, 14, 12. Robust good health but adults at the stage where things could go wrong from now on :D. Were on Bupa Health Manager Starter.

Who to go with? Both have roughly similar options. Any pitfalls with either? Switch now (contract ends Feb so good timing) or wait for last-minute good deals?

I only took out cover not so long ago and went with VIVAS, would have gone with BUPA but was afraid they would pull out as they have done since. I first thought they were a foreign company, not a very Irish sounding name. Understand they are backed by AIB and Dermot Desmond among others and 'stole' some top level staff from VHI. They appear to be more competitive and keep promising more than VHI.
Are they another Ryanair and VHI Aer Lingus, although am quite happy to fly Ryanair all the time now. I did it through a broker to try get a semi impartial opinion.

I only took out cover not so long ago and went with VIVAS, would have gone with BUPA but was afraid they would pull out as they have done since. I first thought they were a foreign company, not a very Irish sounding name. Understand they are backed by AIB and Dermot Desmond among others and 'stole' some top level staff from VHI. They appear to be more competitive and keep promising more than VHI.
Are they another Ryanair and VHI Aer Lingus, although am quite happy to fly Ryanair all the time now. I did it through a broker to try get a semi impartial opinion.

VIVAS will mop up as much BUPA business as they can and they will be gone within 10 years when they too have to pay for risk equalisation OR someone else will move starting afresh again.

Don't see how a broker can offer an impartial view on VIVAS v VHI as they don't sell VHI products !

My wife is with VIVAS but I stayed with VHI as i feel there is a bit of loyalty as they have always paid out for me, my family and extended family. I have no experience of VIVAS payouts but they are the new BUPA as they do not have the same age base as VHI....so here we go again.

don't think there is any such thing with insurance companies, no last min sales there me thinks, same price no matter what

VIVAS have done a few half price sales in the past. The last one was a one day offer where they sold cover for children at €1 (I don't know what the terms and conditions were though).

I'm actually surprised that they haven't being doing more offers to target the bupa customers!

Back