Budget 2009

Also its about time drink tax was upped it never gets touched year on year and the publicans are just taking all the increases for themseves and making a killing so the state miht as well take some of it. Also they could up the cigarette duty too because Irish women need something drastic to stop them smoking for their own health and possible future generations they will possibly be giving birth too.

What about the effects on inflation and the national pay negotiations?

What about the effects on inflation and the national pay negotiations?

It could only be done, if they are taken out of the basket.

But a very hefty A&E change should be levied on those admitted under the influence. Use the funds to build drunk tanks and have additional security.

I wonder why the budget isn't next week rather than next month. Surely the sooner they detail what remedial action they intend to take, the better. The cynic in me can't help but think the timing (14th October) may be more to do with taking the focus (media attention) off what is happening on 15th October.

I think that on the 15th some official figures are coming out of how much tax they have taken this year and it's not good so they want to distract people's attention away from that.

forgive my ignorance but what is happening on the 15th?
Well, at the risk of dragging this into LOS territory and incurring the wrath of the MODs :), and unless I'm mistaken - on the 15th, Cowen and Co. will be off to Europe, caps doffed, to explain to their EU masters how they plan to usurp a recent democratic decision of the Irish people.

Back