brother won't pay for my share of house

Yes he is as agricultural contrator, he already owes a lot of money for the tractors he bought, so he says there is no way he is getting another loan.

Yes he is as agricultural contrator, he already owes a lot of money for the tractors he bought, so he says there is no way he is getting another loan.

If I was you I would be looking for the 50k that you are entitled to and not a penny less, your brother is acting like a spoilt brat and needs a reality check. I have a younger sibling who possibly think like this but there is no way if the event arose I would be so lenient.
You also have to think if it was you still at home what would your brother be looking for from you?

I know in my own situation that my unmarried brother is living at home with our mother and if she left the home house jointly to us all, it would present a very difficult situation for my brother who wouldn't be in a position to buy us all out — even at a knockdown price. I understand you have entitlements and others have suggested the legal route, but don't destroy family relations over it. Yes, you are entitled to your share but where's the rush?!

Yes, but just because you live at home doesn't mean it is a necessity, it could be for any number of reasons therefore what on earth is the problem with telling him to be a grown up and sell the house and split it 4 ways as parents intended. The rest of the family more than likely have mortgages of their own and Im sure 40k would be just as helpful for the rest of them. From the sounds of it the brother isn't interested in the family relations side of it - just living scott free in the family home ! He can use the 40k as a deposit and get a mortgage like everyone else !

Do you believe it was the wish of your parent(s) to leave the house to your brother or that you would share it equally.

I had a conversation with some friends and their parents recently. The youngest son lives in the house and the other children own their own homes. The other children suggested to the parents that they would like the youngest (who was not present) to have the home when that time comes and would forgo their interest.

The parents where adamant that they did not want this to happen as they felt it would not be in the best long term interest of the youngest. They felt he should learn to stand on his own two feet just like the other children had to.

Keep in mind, adverse possession. Otherwise known as squatters rights.
In our case, we only have four years to sort this out, or he gets full ownership of the house. He has already lived there for eight years now.

It sounds like he is not in adverse possession. The house is presumably in three names and he agreed to rent same from you. You agreed that he live there and gave him permission (subject to rent) which would negate a claim for adverse possession. You could consider issuing proceedings for non-payment of rent to see if he defends same.

tink
telling him to be a grown up and sell the house and split it 4 ways as parents intended
cant remember the op saying anything about the parents wishes

Back