Brexit 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
But how many British people are forced to emigrate due to economic necessity ?
Are you suggesting they come here because it's just nicer?
Lots of British people emigrated due to economic necessity. Look at the numbers who left Scotland and Northern Ireland and moved to England. It is a United Kingdom of 4 countries is it not?

Any chance you'd reply to post #75 ?

Of course.
Shortly before the referendum the IMF said the pound was over-valued by between 5%-20%.
FX rates go up and down - I can remember when sterling was at virtual parity against the dollar and did rather well out of it.
There are pros and cons either way but as a sign of the health of an economy I'd rather look at manufacturing data than foreign exchange.

Absolutely, and always has been.
The product was developed and is manufacturer by Irish people though, unlike the cars that are made in the UK. ;)

Really ?
You don't think Rolls Royce was developed and manufactured by British people ?
You need to do a bit more Googling old sport.

Are you suggesting they come here because it's just nicer?
Lots of British people emigrated due to economic necessity. Look at the numbers who left Scotland and Northern Ireland and moved to England. It is a United Kingdom of 4 countries is it not?

Who knows why British people emigrate here but I know of no British people who moved to Ireland because they couldn't find employment in the UK.

You really think that the market put more weight on what the IMF said than the result of the referendum?

No.
I'm merely saying that a reduction in the value of sterling is not necessarily a bad thing.
As I mentioned upthread the markets are volatile and no great indicator of an economy's strengths or weaknesses.
The economic data that has come out of the UK since Brexit has been largely positive but who can predict what will happened in
two years time.
Uncertainty over the future didn't worry those people who voted Leave sufficiently.Loss of sovereignty and high levels of immigration weighed far more heavily on their minds.

No.
I'm merely saying that a reduction in the value of sterling is not necessarily a bad thing.

That's not what I am asking. I am asking why you think the value of sterling has fallen by so much following the referendum? (The hint I would offer is that usually when something becomes less attractive its price falls..).

That's not what I am asking. I am asking why you think the value of sterling has fallen by so much following the referendum? (The hint I would offer is that usually when something becomes less attractive its price falls..).

But as you know sterling hasn't fallen consistently since Brexit.It has recovered some ground then fallen again.Much of this is volatility based on political events.
You don't seriously think market makers haven't already priced in a hard Brexit before a speech by May tomorrow which will indicate that is the likely outcome ? As May has repeatedly said FOM is non-negotiable that is the ONLY outcome.
Equally a string of the " wrong " election results in Europe could well see the Euro come under pressure again this summer.
Exchange rates go up and down like a whore's drawers and I really wouldn't worry too much about them.

http://news.sky.com/story/imf-upgra...xpected-growth-following-brexit-vote-10731194

Last edited:
I think Nige has a point. If it wasn't for the hard working Brits of Belfast where would the Titanic be today?:DThe West Belfast version of this "joke" would not be suitable for AAM ears.

Last edited:
Who knows why British people emigrate here but I know of no British people who moved to Ireland because they couldn't find employment in the UK.

I certainly agree that the vast majority of British people who moved here are not in any sense economic immigrants.
The only conclusion that I can draw is that the approx 116,000 British people who have moved here have done so because they perceived our quality of life as being superior added to our much better social welfare provisions topped off by the notion that we are a far more chilled & friendly populace than our U.K. neighbours !
I extracted the figure of 116,000 above from a Eurostat 2015 survey which states that non nationals make up 11.8 % of our population whereas only 7.9 % of the UK 's population are non nationals - hardly supports your conclusion that Ireland has far fewer immigrants than the U.K.

I certainly agree that the vast majority of British people who moved here are not in any sense economic immigrants.
The only conclusion that I can draw is that the approx 116,000 British people who have moved here have done so because they perceived our quality of life as being superior added to our much better social welfare provisions topped off by the notion that we are a far more chilled & friendly populace than our U.K. neighbours !
I extracted the figure of 116,000 above from a Eurostat 2015 survey which states that non nationals make up 11.8 % of our population whereas only 7.9 % of the UK 's population are non nationals - hardly supports your conclusion that Ireland has far fewer immigrants than the U.K.

Rather more worrying for Ireland is how many of the generation of 18-30s who have left the country will never return.
All those hundreds of thousands of Irish in recent decades who crossed the Irish Sea must find the quality of life agreeable in Blighty otherwise they would come home.
I mean,this country isn't permanently in economic crisis even though it feels like that.

Ah but there is a difference , as you have correctly pointed out time and again the Irish who went to the UK went to seek work whereas those UK citizens who came the other way obviously came for the quality of life & better social welfare provisions - the quality of life obviously being the reason why Provence & large areas of coastal Spain have been colonised by British citizens who can no longer envisage living in the UK .
Any comment on the fact that this country has far more non nationals per capita than the U.K. Despite your claims to the contrary ?

Ah but there is a difference , as you have correctly pointed out time and again the Irish who went to the UK went to seek work whereas those UK citizens who came the other way obviously came for the quality of life & better social welfare provisions - the quality of life obviously being the reason why Provence & large areas of coastal Spain have been colonised by British citizens who can no longer envisage living in the UK .
Any comment on the fact that this country has far more non nationals per capita than the U.K. Despite your claims to the contrary ?

Exactly where did I claim this ?
While you're trying to find this non-existent post I would just point out that the most recent net migration figures - taking the number of people leaving the UK from the number entering - was 335,000 in the year leading up to June 2016.
Quality of life for a retired Brit or Irish person wanting some sun and cheap drink ( yup,there are plenty of those on the costas too ) is the same as quality of life for an unemployed labourer from Roscommon who heads for Irish Ferries across to the UK.

Last edited:
Let's put aside for a moment the idea that the whole European project is in crisis, from a trade point of view Europe has been the worst performing continent on the planet for some time now.
As a country with the 5 or 6th strongest GDP in the world and an economy which is currently performing better than any other in the G7 Brexit will enable the UK to strike trade deals that otherwise would never happen if it remained in the EU.
Trade aside,it would also have control of its borders.
Ireland is extremely lucky not to have communities straining under the burden of a massive influx of immigrants putting pressure on schools,housing and local services.
They are all over the UK particularly in the North which is why so many of the traditional Labour constituencies there voted Leave.
And it's not a question of being a Little Englander.These communities have welcomed immigrants since the 1960s.
And try telling them Brexit will be bad for their pocket.For many of them it can't get any worse.

Hope this answers your question .
" Ireland is extremely lucky not to have communities straining under the burden of a massive influx of immigrants "
Hardly ties in with the Eurostat figures which reflect the fact that a far greater percentage of our population is made up of non nationals compared to the UK does it ?
Non existent post - hardly , perhaps it's your short term memory that's faulty ?
In the interest of clarity I should state that I have no difficulties with such immigrants .

It's a simple statement of fact that if you add up the debits and credits of every member state from France to Poland bar Germany it comes to a figure less than Britain’s EU contribution.
Things have strayed a lot from OP but I am going to revert to that bone of mine as you have yet to give a satisfactory explanation. Why have you excluded Germany in this calculation? The statement is true even if you include Germany however this exclusion suggests you had no concept of the point you were trying to make. And as I have asserted on several occasions the statement is true of all countries except Poland. What point are you trying to make in making this trival observation?

Last edited:
Hope this answers your question .
" Ireland is extremely lucky not to have communities straining under the burden of a massive influx of immigrants "
Hardly ties in with the Eurostat figures which reflect the fact that a far greater percentage of our population is made up of non nationals compared to the UK does it ?
Non existent post - hardly , perhaps it's your short term memory that's faulty ?
In the interest of clarity I should state that I have no difficulties with such immigrants .

I think the expression is " Apologies for making a false claim against you. "
We agree then that I did not assert that the UK has more non-nationals per capita than Ireland.
What I did say is that certain areas of the UK - notably working class and predominantly in the North which is where the biggest Leave vote came from - have attracted most immigration and this has brought huge strain on local housing,hospitals and social services.
It has also meant that wages in these areas have been artificially depressed with immigrants willing to work for often below minimum wages.
It's not just me who is saying this but Labour MPs,many of them Remainers,who were told this on the doorstep while canvassing during the Referendum.
It's why Theresa May won't face serious opposition to her Brexit plans because Labour MPs in often marginal constituencies know they face electoral oblivion as a consequence.

Stop digging , you stated unequivocally " Ireland is extremely lucky not to have communities straining under the burden of a massive influx of immigrants "
Our proportion of non nationals is far greater than the UK & as such there are a far greater amount of non nationals spread throughout our communities .
Your assertion above is therefore bogus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back