Breakup - tricky situation

T

TeeDee

I'm in a tricky situation. Myself and my boyfriend have recently split up. We have a deposit down on a house in Stamullen since August 2001 but due to a legal wrangle involving the builders the house still hasn't been built. The house cost €200k in 2001 and my question is - is there any easy way of getting the current value of the house as we need to calculate the increase in value of the house so that we can divide our assets.

Thanks in advance

Eh, Kidrought I think the original post was relating to the profit that will potentially be made once the house is completed.

If the builder is obliged to sell them the completed house at 200k and the house will be worth X upon completion, then X - 200k is the potential profit, which is sure to be sizeable due to the rise in house prices over the years since the original agreement.

Establishing what the value of X is is what the poster is looking for help with. Actually, its more like the current value (i.e. if the house were completed tomorrow what would it be worth, not what will it be worth when its completed down the road, as the buyout will happen now, not then) that is needed.

Are there any similar houses in the vicinity that could be used as a reference point for a price comparison? If you can find one that is recently sold or sale agreed you can try ringing the estate agent. They generally only tell you that it went for in excess of the asking price, but I've had much success by taking this approach "Hi, I see you have a 3-bed semi-d for sale on The Road. Oh, its sale agreed/sold, oops I must have an outdated brochure. I'd like to buy a house on The Road, I wonder, what would a 3-bed semi-d go for on The Road?". This way the agent can tell you the exact amount that such a house would fetch without technically divulging the details of the specific house they have just sold. Well, it works for me.

Back