Breach of data

learning curve

Hi, I hope I am not duplicating threads by posting this question.
I have two properties, one is in my sole name and one is in joint names with an investor, which was a huge step for me!
The investment property is shared, so several people live there, including myself. A letter came from my bank addressed to my spouse in relation to the property I have in my sole name, it asked my spouse to offer some payments for the property which was in arrears, eventhough the property is, and has always been in my name.
The letter detailed my account number, amount owing, amount in arrears ect.
The letter was opened by my ex partner (rightly or wrongly, that's another days issue). . And I was more than mortified because I was trying to solve my financial debts myself in private and was very ashamed that I had made the wrong investment choice, we split up because I had kept it a secret, but I hadn't lied, I was trying to sort it out with the bank myself, I was trying to save my property, and tried to explain to him that it wasnt 'our' issue it was my property, that I bought years before we met (we were only seeing each other for 8 months)
I don't have, nor have I ever had a spouse, and eventhough he felt he was my spouse because we were seeing each other, we didn't live together, we werent even engaged.
Should I see a solicitor about how the bank sent a letter entitled 'Spouse' in relation to my property?

Irrespective of the title (and it is curious that they addressed him as your spouse - why would they infer that?) the bank had no right to contact him about your property. How did they find out about him? It seems very odd that they would have his details, especially if you had only been in a relationship for a short period of time.

I think start with the bank's complaints procedure. At least that won't cost you much to follow.

Probably no harm to have a read of the [broken link removed] too.

Hi So Crates, thanks so much for your advice. They didn't mention him by name, they wrote 'To spouse of: (my name)
the letter then went on to tell my 'spouse', that I was in serious arrears and needed assistance....

I called the bank earlier and told them what had happened ( it happened last February ) but I have only got mad enough to do something about it now!
I told them that I feel very exposed, as I have heard it back from mutual friends that I am in 'dire financial difficulties',(which isn't true). I told them that I am really upset at them for giving someone (anyone!) a gateway into my personal banking affairs. They said they would get back to me 'in due course'.

I called the bank earlier and told them what had happened ( it happened last February ) but I have only got mad enough to do something about it now!
I told them that I feel very exposed, as I have heard it back from mutual friends that I am in 'dire financial difficulties',(which isn't true). I told them that I am really upset at them for giving someone (anyone!) a gateway into my personal banking affairs. They said they would get back to me 'in due course'.
learning curve.
Stop phoning Bank.
Send copy of their letter to them (by reg post).
Ask them for a full explanation in writing within 14 days. Tell them not to phone you.
Advise them that this breach of confidence has had serious consequences for you . (do not yet say what they are)

Given what has happened, it amazes me ! that if what you say is accurate, that someone in Bank says {in due course}
The only way Banks seem to learn is the hard way methinks!

Please keep us posted ,and I repeat , keep all in writing.

:eek::eek::eek: Big WOW. This is a serious breach of confidentiality. Extraordinary that any bank would countenance such behavior. Broadly agree with Gerry's advice. however you need to emphasize the serious breach of confidentiality and state that you will be taking Legal Advice on how to proceed. Copy the letter to the CEO of the Bank!!

Hi, thanks Gerry, Brendan and Monbretia. Thanks for that advice. I will register a letter to the person who signed off on the letter and the CEO. That's really good advice, as I wasn't sure what way to go after I called them. I pretty much placed the power in their hands, and left it all at their pace. The bank is PTSB Monbretia.

The property the letter concerned was in your sole name - did you buy it as your PPR? Given it's in arrears, I wonder if the Bank was sending out something under the Family Home Protection Act (on the basis there may be someone else affected by the arrears/potential enforcement action).
Either that or they made a BIG c0ck-up.

However, I'm not so sure its as clear cut as you & others make it.
In my opinion, the real breach of confidence, is actually your ex-partner, opening a letter not addressed to them. I'm slightly confused where you call him your "spouse" but you weren't married.

I wonder how the data protection office would view this. If you could provide further updates as your progress it would be great as it's a very interesting situation (interesting to me, I'm not an outrage-junky - Gerry can take care of that).

... A letter came from my bank addressed to my spouse in relation to the property I have in my sole name, it asked my spouse to offer some payments for the property which was in arrears, eventhough the property is, and has always been in my name.
The letter detailed my account number, amount owing, amount in arrears ect.
The letter was opened by my ex partner (rightly or wrongly, that's another days issue) ...
... we didn't live together ...

... They didn't mention him by name, they wrote 'To spouse of: (my name)
the letter then went on to tell my 'spouse', that I was in serious arrears and needed assistance....

...In my opinion, the real breach of confidence, is actually your ex-partner, opening a letter not addressed to them. I'm slightly confused where you call him your "spouse" but you weren't married....

Hi learning curve, I am a little confused. Can you answer the following clearly please?
1) Was the name on the envelope yours or your ex-partners?
2) What address was on the envelope (your address or his?)
3) Was it delivered to the property you own? The share property you live in? Your ex's place?
4) Did he open a letter that wasn't addressed to him?
5) Did you ever tell your bank you were in a relationship? If not, how did they know to assume there was a "spouse"?

Hi,
1. I am not calling him my spouse, the wording on the letter was To the Spouse of: followed by my name. I was simply relaying what they had written.
2. The letter was sent to my current address, where I have always recieved mail from the bank about my other property.
3. Yes, it came to my shared property , but concerned my other property ( the one in my sole name.
4. The letter had 'spouse of', he had absolutely no right to open that letter, maybe he was curious by the wording, or thought I might have been married before ect. . . It doesn't really matter. The property that the letter referred to is in my name only and not a family home, with no one other than my name on the deeds.
5. I have no idea. They know that I am single, and have always corresponded with me only re this property. I have never discussed my relationships with them. Having said that, there was no name on the letter, it was addressed 'To the Spouse of ( my name ). This was the first time that I have ever recieved a letter marked Spouse from them ever.
I think I might have confused the issue by saying my ex opened the letter, which was irrelevant really. Regardless of why he opened it, he still told my friends about it, I suppose that's his only involvement. He has nothing to do with my investments. I said that to the bank, that they should have only ever addressed letters for that property to me. Letters for my other shared property are in joint names of myself and the other invester (a business partner).

Does that make more sense?

Back