Bord Gáis stolen laptops: thieves could have access to set up their own direct debit!

Re: Bord Gáis stolen laptops: thieves could have access to set up their own direct de

/me bites tongue.

Re: Bord Gáis stolen laptops: thieves could have access to set up their own direct de

Why defend the indefensible?
It's not a question of defending it. I'm not defending BG's screw up. But the issue is still being over-hyped here on this board and in the media.

I wonder will they be fined?

Eeeeeh any one seen todays Daily Mail???

Just saw this one Boards.ie. If this is true they should be fined and fined heavily

I was just having lunch and glancing at the newspapers, on the front page of the Daily Mail (I know, I know its the Daily Mail) there is a story saying that it wasnt 75k customers details IT WAS 140K, they also say that something like 12k credit card details including the 3 digit code at the back of the card and everyones date of birth are also on the laptop.
Now this could be total lies in which case I would expect BGE to roll out Johnny Mullins to confirm same, or it is true. If it is true I am starting to get worried. I cant find a link to the story on line and I only did a bit of speed reading but those are " the facts" as reported by the Mail.

If that is the case they should be made compensate each and every customer.

I recieved a letter today from Bord Gais,saying..

" As you may be aware ,four laptops were stolen from Bord Gais Energy on Friday ,5th June 2009. One of the stolen laptops contained information including..

Name

Address

Bank account details,"..

" Your name, address , bank account number ,and sort code were on the stolen laptop".
--------------------------
Im honestly not worried at all as I understand the chances of this information being used is minimal.
However it did state,"CONTAINED INFORMATION INCLUDING ". So what other information was on it?

The only information on those laptops were what you gave them. They shouldn't have any other personal information.

I got the same letter today, and i'm not too worried about it. Any information they have if freely available if someone was to look hard enough.

I do think that the laptops were stolen, wiped and sold on...the only issue i would have with this would it not of been easier to steal laptops from else where?

When the bf got home i told him and he over reacted over the situation so he called the bank and he was told that they have been made fully aware that his details may have got into the wrong hands, and his account has been flagged in a way to look out for suspicious transactions. So if someone was to try and set up a standing order or DD on his account he would be notified to ask if this was a real transaction that he had set up. And it wouldn't be fully set up that money could come out of his account untill he had confirmed such.

With this in place i dont see how our accounts are going to be effected.

To save people who are only worried about the risk to themselves reading this entire thread I have put the following summary as the first post.

Summary in case you don't want to read the entire thread

A laptop was stolen which contained your name, your address, your bank account number and your sort code.

It is very unlikely that the thieves or the new owner of the PC knows that they have this information. They probably have wiped the disk already.

This information is on every cheque you write anyway. They did not get any sensitive information.

If someone has this information, then they can walk into a bank and try to withdraw money from your account. It is very unlikely that they would be given money.

They could try to set up a direct debit, but they would not get away with it.

There have been no reports of anyone losing any money from their bank account through this theft.

What should you do?
Do what you should do anyway - check all transactions on your bank account to make sure that no errors have been made. Maybe do it weekly for a while instead of monthly.

Other issues discussed in this thread
Why did Bord Gais not encrypt their laptops?
Should they be fined for this security lapse?

Since when is you home address on a cheque?

You can set up a direct debit on the internet or over the phone without providing a signature but all banks of customers whose details were on the laptop have been informed and an alert has been placed on those accounts

Since when is you home address on a cheque?
Its not but its common knowledge. The electoral register for one.
An address is hardly confidencial information.

Maybe we should ban the phone book too :)

And if thats not enough for some paranoid people take down all the roads signs & take the numbers off your door.
Then the postman could everyone mail in a box at the top of the road & everyone goes up to collect it so no one knows where you live..
Hang on................. No that would be a security risk wouldn't it.??:eek:
Hmm probobly safer to tell people my address after all:rolleyes:

I'm refusing to sign-up to direct debits anymore. Its a like signing a blank cheque and sending it off to one of these places.

I'm refusing to sign-up to direct debits anymore. Its a like signing a blank cheque and sending it off to one of these places.

Please explain...!!
They can only take whats on your bill.

Back