'Black tie' hire for a wedding

CCOVICH

I am going to a wedding this summer and the invitation says Black Tie :)mad: ). My question is, are there any decent alternatives to Black Tie for tux hire in Dublin? Have never had to hire a tux before, how much should I be expecting to pay for the works (excluding shoes)?

I hope you don't have Royal connections. We have standards to keep up around here you know! ;)

The smaller rental outfits will normally kit you out for about 60 euro. Get out the Golden pages and ring around for a price. Some people who have black tie weddings negotiate a price of about 50 euro for a group hire, but there would normally be a card in the invitation explaining this. Do not go to Black Tie they are a rip off. If you expect to go to a few of these events you could buy a tux and shirt for under 200 euro. Noel Reid - Dundrum and Blanchardstown. They might do hire aswell. Hope all of this helps.

for a quality tailored outfit, go to youngs hire in the back of the mens suit shop(cant remember its name) in liffey valley. their stuff is far superior to black tie

Gotta agree with others here regarding avoiding 'Black Tie' the store. I booked six suits from them for my wedding and had agreed to collect them three days before the big day. They couldn't have made a worse mess of the order if they tried. Everything from none of the suits being available on the pre-agreed date to items missing then totally wrong sizes. I finally got the last of the order at 6pm the evening before the wedding?! Not ideal.

If I was getting married again (perish the thought) I would not use Black Tie again even if they offered to supply the suits for free, not worth the hassle IMHO.

P.S. You could try Protocol on South Anne Street as an alternative, my friend used them problem-free last Summer.

City tailors on Mary Street are very good. Can't remember the prices though.

Go to Black Tie if you actually like dealing with dis-interested staff and paying out double what the other places charge.

Our family have always used Tangos in temple bar for weddings, blacktie etc.
Great service.

Post a bit late.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's mad renting a tux, you can buy them (jacket and pants seperately) in M&S for about 150 euros total. Also another suit shop in Liffey Valley near M&S, can't remember its name, might be "suits you" (?)

You'll have it for years and get several uses out of it, they never really go out of style if you buy a plain black one. Team it with a white dress shirt and dickey bow and you're all set, and you don't have to worry about returning a rental suit.

Back