Bin charges

suimhneach

Hi everyone am kinda new on here but read all the time, my question as regards bin charge relief is this. we live in county galway and have the same as most of the country have to pay for waste 5 Euro every fortnight for one green back and 2.50 each for a blue bag (recycle tins )and clear bag (paper) every other week. but we dont seem to be entitled to this tax relief or am i wrong? its probably a stupid question but thought i would ask why its available to city dwellers and not to us country bumpkins

Hi everyone am kinda new on here but read all the time, my question as regards bin charge relief is this. we live in county galway and have the same as most of the country have to pay for waste 5 Euro every fortnight for one green back and 2.50 each for a blue bag (recycle tins )and clear bag (paper) every other week. but we dont seem to be entitled to this tax relief or am i wrong? its probably a stupid question but thought i would ask why its available to city dwellers and not to us country bumpkins

Yes you are correct. There is no tax relief on the refuse bags. I myself worked it out and decided that it is more financially beneficial to have our black and blue bins rather than buying our bags every fortnight.

It's available to all as far as I know - what makes you think you can't avail of tax relief?

It's not much BTW - check on www.revenue.ie

Yes you are correct. There is no tax relief on the refuse bags. I myself worked it out and decided that it is more financially beneficial to have our black and blue bins rather than buying our bags every fortnight.

Oh - there you go then :eek:

So available on actual bins but not bags ?! Strange.

no not available on bags think the problem is with the bins you pay for a label as we dont have that and shop reciepts dont actually state that you bought refuse sacks

no not available on bags think the problem is with the bins you pay for a label as we dont have that and shop reciepts dont actually state that you bought refuse sacks

If it's only a receipt issue I'm sure that could be rectified easily enough?

Hand written receipt if the standard till one doesn't specify the items - maybe a bit much for a few lousy euro though...

way i see it we are paying too much in tax and if it was only 5 cent i get back i wont leave it to them. Im going to be pro active from now on and claim every single cent im entitled to. think everyone should we just dotn know enough about how to work the system and this board is our window of oppertunity. Wouldn't call any euro lousy, sorry folks just annoyed i didnt win the lotto last night :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely this is wrong!!! You do get relief on refuse bag tags so if you buy special bags from the local authority which are the only ones that they will collect then you should get relief on these too. We get it on Dublin City Council bin tags which cost €2.65 (?) a go and are stuck on bags that we buy ourselves. You get tax relief at 20% on expenditure on these subject to a cap of €400 on the total amount qualifying for relief as applies to other forms of refuse/service charge payments. You have to retain the receipts in case Revenue ever do an audit but you don't need receipts to make the claim.

See also this thread which contains a link to the relevant Revenue leaflet:

Tax relief on Bring Centre fees?

I contacted Revenue regarding this a while back and was advised that there is only tax relief on the bins and not on the bags. Meath County Council do not provide refuse facilities and there are a couple of private companies who operate this business in the Meath area. You can only buy these companys' refuse bags in local newsagents.

ill bet you anything we dotn i contacted galway revenue now but im sure they wont even reply. there is only one company that collects the waste around here so no chance of a bit of competition to lower the prices or anything. ill let ye know if i get an answer but knowing them i wont.

This makes no sense to me to the extent that I don't believe it. People in privately managed developments can get tax relief on the service charges (e.g. refuse/waste management) portion of their management fee even if the service is performed by private contractors, people (like myself) who use local authority bin bag label, people can claim tax relief on charges paid to local waste management/recycling centres when disposing of waste etc. So I cannot see how people who buy special bags in this case cannot do likewise. I really wonder if (once again) Revenue have given out incorrect information here?

ill bet you anything we dotn i contacted galway revenue now but im sure they wont even reply. there is only one company that collects the waste around here so no chance of a bit of competition to lower the prices or anything. ill let ye know if i get an answer but knowing them i wont.
No offence but if you just want to rant about this then wait until you can post in Letting Off Steam. Otherwise stick to the topic.

sorry wasn't meant to be a rant started out as a question but lost the run of myself. Will let you know what the revenue says but am certain sure we are not entitled

well today one week after emailing this question to the galway revenue office, i get a reply, and the reply didnt answer the question if we country dwellers are entitled to this tax relief nope they asked me for my pps number. a whole week later and this is the answer i get? i have no idea what my pps number would have to do with this, any ideas?

If revenue are asking for your PPSN, then perhaps they're going to grant you tax relief as you've requested.....maybe you've won!

yep finally got an answer we are will get this relief apparently i have to now write a letter to revenue and explaing that we dont have bin tags and all that stuff about the bill never been itemised in the local store so cant prove its a "bin bag" anyways she says "you will be allowed the amount of 195 up to 2005 and 400 from 2006 onward's "

Back