Best way to access funds in USA (long Term)?

R

Ron

Hello all,
I am a student who is travelling to New York for a 3 month period in June. I am just wondering if any of ye wise people could help me out with some information on how to manage my money over there for the 3 month period. I will have a job so with this may come an account over there. Are laser cards charges high? Are credit cards the way to go? All comments will be much appreciated. Ron

Ron,

Depends on which bank you are with but if you use your ATM, laser or credit card you will be charged for using cards outside eurozone. There are usually minimum changes too so every time you use one of your cards, you'll be hit with charges. Best thing really is to open an account when you are over there. I did when I did my J1 and no hassle at all as long as employer is involved as far as I recall.

When I did my student summer in America I opened an account. I was paid weekly by cheque so I used to lodge half and cash thr other half to live off for the week as ATMs were quite expensive.

I spent a summer on my J1 and I remember that the bank didn't charge you if you had a minimum amount in there at all times.

Also it's better to go with a bank which has loads of branches especially if you plan to do a bit of travelling at the end of the summer. You get less hassle and less charges if you withdraw in your own bank. I was in Maryland and went with www.bankofamerica.com. They have loads of branches - especially in the southern states.

Back