Best Value Personal Current Accounts & Free Banking Listing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irish Current Accounts:

There are 8 banks in Ireland that offer current accounts to personal customers.
"Day to Day banking Charges" is defined as quarterly fees, ATM fees, direct debit fees and standing order fees.

1. Best Buys - Free Banking with Credit Interest:

[broken link removed]
Day to Day Banking: Free (no conditions)
Credit Interest Rate: 10% up to 2,000 EUR if the account is funded with 1,500 EUR per month.
Other Features: Saturday branch opening, Visa debit card (more widely international accepted than Laser debit cards), GBP and USD wire facility.

[broken link removed]
Credit Interest Rate: 4% up to 1,500 EUR if the account is funded with 1,500 EUR per month.

[broken link removed]
Day to Day Banking: Free (Max.6 manual in branch transactions per quarter - no limit online)
Credit Interest Rate: 2.75%
Note: National Irish have six current accounts on offer. The above listed is their "Freedom" product.

2. Other Free Banking with Credit Interest:

[broken link removed]
Day to Day Banking: Free if you use (1) use your Debit Card at least once per quarter and (2) you use internet banking at least once per quarter. Otherwise you are charged 4.50 EUR per quarter and 20 cent per transactions.
Credit Interest Rate: 3% up to 1,500 EUR if the account is funded with 1,500 EUR per month and you ensure you opt in for the "High Interest" account.

[broken link removed]
Day to Day Banking: Free if you maintain a balance of at least 500 EUR every day during the BOI billing quarter or make at last 3 debits online/via telephone banking each quarter. Otherwise you are charged 11.90 EUR per quarter for the first 90 transactions and 20 cent per transaction thereafter.
Credit Interest Rate: 2.25% up to 1,500 EUR if the account is funded with 1,500 EUR per month and you opt in for the "High Interest" account by completing and returning an application form and at last 3 online/telephone banking transactions are made in the quarter.

3. Other Free Banking Accounts:

[broken link removed] (Discuss)
Credit Interest Rate: Zero
Other Features: Bank at many post offices including on Saturdays, standard Maestro debit card (wider acceptability for online transactions than Laser/Maestro cards)

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Further Reading:

• The Financial Regulator maintains a comparison table here.

Halifax ... GBP and USD wire facility.

AIB and other banks also allow this through online banking or in-branch. I'm not sure this is a unique selling point? Though it does remind me of something I've been meaning to do iny my copious free time: a comparison of the online banking systems.

Also I've updated the Postbank listing with some extra details.

Thanks for the reminder about the NIB Freedom a/c - with the 2.75% interest rate. I've got an Easy a/c with them and didn't realize that they have another nearly-identical current account offering 2.75%, as opposed to zero.....:eek:

AIB and other banks also allow this through online banking or in-branch. I'm not sure this is a unique selling point?

Also I've updated the Postbank listing with some extra details.

Thanks for updating Postbank details.

I have had problems with making a USD transfer before and Halifax were the only one (that I went to) that allowed me to make a USD transfer. What banks offer USD transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back