Best place for a dormant personal pension?

P

pooka

I have a personal pension with BOI Asset Management that has been dormant since 2001. I no longer live in Ireland so won't be making any more contributions to it. It's performing dismally (made about 5% last year) and it kills me to think of the kind of returns I could get if I could only invest the funds myself! As I can't, I was hoping someone could recommend a good pension scheme that I could transfer to, bearing in mind I won't be making any contributions to it.
Thanks!

If you really believe you could outperform a Managed Fund by investing yourself, you could transfer it to a Self-Directed Personal Pension which will allow you to choose your own shares (or property if the fund size is sufficient) within your Personal Pension policy.

You should check the following with BIAM - (1) is there an ongoing monthly policy fee, even though the fund is paid-up, (2) what's the annual fund management charge and (3) would there be a charge for transferring to another provider.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been away and didn't have access to a computer. Can you direct me to some more information about Self Directed Pensions? What kind of fees typically apply? Which companies provide them?
Thanks

Standard Life & Irish Life both have self-directed Personal Pension contracts. Fees vary depending on fund size. You may get lower charges by going via a discount broker.

There's some details on Standard Life's [broken link removed].

Back