Best Buy Best Credit Card Reward Schemes

I have an AIB gold business card which when I joined up with it over 10 years ago, was attached to the Airmile frequent programme of Aer Lingus. It also included free travel insurance for your family if credit card used to book holiday, and AA resue cover for your car. It now costs €100 per year.

My question is, I feed travel insurance taken out would be cheaper with another company. By using credit card for holiday bookings you end up paying credit card fees.

AA rescue, I'm already covered with my Hiberian Aviava Insurance for car.

Air Miles are finished with card now.

And the yearly cost, not including the Government duty.

As we travel throughout the year, Ulster Bank travel scheme on their card looks good. Are their fees attached? Will go into Bank and ask.

Any advice?

AIB never want to talk about options with the card, as they no longer have this programme.

If the provider does not wish to discuss the program matterts, then surely you would be best going elsewhere.

What a shame. Pigsback have halved the rewards for using this card from the 1st April 2009. They sent me an email talking about giving a better service with a chance to win 10,000 point a month and "introducing some exclusive reward items which will only be available to cardholders along with early booking of exclusive events". Then they finish by mentioning "In order to put all of the above elements in place and to offer you a better service, as of the 1st April 2009, you will earn 1 PiggyPoint for every €2 spent on your Pigsback.com Credit Card."
It's interesting that this kicks in on April fools day, I'd have to be a fool not to see this as a halving of my rewards. Hopefully there's a card out there with a better reward scheme that I can switch to.
MoodyToo.

Thanks very much for the information MoodyToo. I will update the top post.

Hopefully there's a card out there with a better reward scheme that I can switch to.

Why not consider the Tesco Credit Card?

What? I just changed from BOI to Pigsback CC for the points alone. I never got that email YET. Raging as I didnt know my limit would be set at €1000. Cant ask for higher until 3/4 months into the card. Disappointing.

"Why not consider the Tesco Credit Card?"
Thanks fungus, the Tesco Credit Card looks good. I see you've already calcuated the percentage cashback for each reward card and considering that about 1/3 of my monthly CC bill is on food purchases the Tesco credit card could be the best reward option now.
Sandals, sorry to hear you've recently changed, I feel similar, I went to the trouble of switching for a deal on offer that has now been halved.
The piggypoints are a big factor because the interest charged on the card (MBNA) is not the keenest available so it's important to make sure what's made in points is not lost in interest payments if the balance isn't cleared at the end of the month.

Last edited:
The Tesco Credit Card application is fairly up front about saying they don't charge interest if you pay the balance in full within 25 days.

What is the timescale for the MBNA Ryanair card? - it's not nearly as obvious from their literature or maybe I'm blind.

Quick question (anybody help). I just changed cc and had to pay 30€ to close my BOI card. If I now close my MBNA card will I have to pay €30 again?

MBNA will only give me €1000 credit limit for 6 months (review) which I am not happy with at all, nor did I think to ask what credit limit nor did they tell me what credit limit, desparate as I really am a cashless spender for everything. I never had any bad debt, not a liability etc. On my BOI card I could spend up to €5000+ a month, depending on the month (I always clear every month in branch).

One way is to get a laser card but that defeats gaining piggypoints. Feeling frustrated.

Quick question (anybody help). I just changed cc and had to pay 30€ to close my BOI card. If I now close my MBNA card will I have to pay €30 again?

MBNA will only give me €1000 credit limit for 6 months (review) which I am not happy with at all, nor did I think to ask what credit limit nor did they tell me what credit limit, desperate as I really am a cashless spender for everything. I never had any bad debt, not a liability etc. On my BOI card I could spend up to €5000+ a month, depending on the month (I always clear every month in branch).

One way is to get a laser card but that defeats gaining piggypoints. Feeling frustrated.

AFAIK you should request a letter from your previous CC company stating that you paid the €30 stamp duty. This letter is then sent to your new CC company and you then do not pay the duty on the new card.

I'm not aware of your personal circumstances but that is quite a low limit, especially for MBNA. Perhaps the current economic climate has made them more conservative with credit limits.

Halifax have bumped their interest rate up to 11.7%

[broken link removed]

still credit €100 after 1st purchase or 6 month interest free

until 31st Mar 09....

Last edited:
Thanks Finty. I have updated the top post.

A lot of the rates have gone up. Obviously, credit card reward cards are most suited to those that pay off their balance in full each month.

Thanks, I have the letter from BOI. Im a secondary school teacher, said limit set for first time customer.

The drawback with a Tesco card is that you cannot manage it online, have to make phone calls to check outstanding balance etc, going through same standard security questions each time, and cannot pay card online.

Sandals: could you not overpay the card at start of month, then you can spend away as you wish.

The drawback with a Tesco card is that you cannot manage it online, have to make phone calls to check outstanding balance etc, going through same standard security questions each time, and cannot pay card online.

Sandals: could you not overpay the card at start of month, then you can spend away as you wish.

it is possible to pay tesco credit card online through billpay.ie

AIB have updated their website, and I think I can now pay Tesco Visa online. I will try when the next bill comes.

Back