Best Businesses in Recession?

KFB123

I am wondering what types of businesses are the best to surivive recessions. I've heard Bookies, cinemas and garden centres are the best. Also sales of coffee goes up in these times.
Anyone any thoughts on this?

Re: Best Businesses in Recession???

Discount retailers (Lidl & Aldi etc) should do well. I wouldn't try muscling in on their business though.
Pawn Brokers, repossession companies and money lenders should also do well.

if people dont have the cash to buy new products then they will spend on maintainence - car repair, laundrette, carpet cleaners

Less established or well known (therefore generally, cheaper) tradespeople may benefit.

Scrapyards. Was at the local scrapyard this morning and got into a chat about this subject with guy on counter. He told me that the 80s were boom time for the business, no one buying new cars, getting parts for old one (and too expensive to go to main dealer).

Undertakers. Because people still die. Especially at this time of year.

What about shoe repair shops? people can't afford new shoes and wearing out ole ones walking around looking for a job!

I think I recall reading that Cinemas tend to do ok in a recession - it is a cheap night out.

Kitchen gadgets etc as people (once again) learn to cook tasty food for a small outlay.

Spoke to a Butcher said things were improving for him. Especially on the Sunday roast front. Families stop going out to hotels for a Sunday dinner and not going away on as many long weekends so stay at home and cook. They are also using the left over meat for dinner on Monday

Had an interview with the company behind the technology for the national lottery - they said they are much busier in a recession!

I've been chatting to people I shop with as a consumer and Bookies have been experiencing a downturn since last Spring, and the lady in the Chinese said business is way down and they are not anticipating an upturn any time soon, for them its been since the new year.

The Cinema used to do well during bad times here in Ireland, but as the cost of attending had increased considerably and many people have an extensive number of channels at home which are relatively cheap I can't see it being sustained, ditto dvd rental its crazy money for short term rental.

People in the US used to say McDonalds was relatively recession proof but as more and more branches open there is less scope for the individual franchises to be at capacity, plus there has been so much information about the health issues associated with the brand it would have to be affected.

Lotto and all Lotto products for sure. If they were sensible they would introduce a €1 face value lottery product, even with a smaller prize, they would pick up the former players who gave up because they believe €3 / €4 would buy them something more.

Lotto and all Lotto products for sure. If they were sensible they would introduce a €1 face value lottery product, even with a smaller prize, they would pick up the former players who gave up because they believe €3 / €4 would buy them something more.

They already have - [broken link removed]

Back