Best broadband deals available at moment?

But if VM were the cheapest and fastest why would they go elsewhere?
Unless something radically changes they won't be cheapest once the introductory offer expires. Same for all providers, the introductory offer is way below anyone's else's standard rates. The OP wasn't to keep switching to avail of the intro offers.

And unless you're going to use the VM HUB wired, or put in your own router, my experience is that it won't be faster than a true FTTH offering. The wireless performance of the media HUB they provide is poor.

Unless something radically changes they won't be cheapest once the introductory offer expires. Same for all providers
Exactly. Same for all providers. So there's no point in avoiding VM at the outset.
The OP wasn't to keep switching to avail of the intro offers.
Your comments were in response to @Leesider32, not the original poster.
And unless you're going to use the VM HUB wired, or put in your own router, my experience is that it won't be faster than a true FTTH offering. The wireless performance of the media HUB they provide is poor.
It's easy to use your own wireless router. Or powerline networking. I use both myself with VM.

Issue I see here is the lack of loyalty bonus.

If the house has 2 good providers
Eir fibre or VM Fibre then you can switch out of contract and save

If like me you only have 1 (VM at the house) then I am on to the loyalty dept to hopefully save a few bob, unlikely to see full new customer discount.

To be honest never had issues with VM BB
Only issue is the price

As far as I know Eir include a landline with their broadband packages but Vodafone give you the option of a package with out
And IIRC the price difference between BB only and BB with phone was €5 per month with Vodafone

I was considering Vodafone until I read this...

When it goes wrong, it really goes wrong.

Virgin Media were quite happy to cut me a deal, in return for a 12mth renewal (discount equated to 33% over the 12mth period).

Not having the option of SIRO in my area, seriously restricts my options, when it comes to high speed providers, so I was happy enough to renew.

Last edited:
I'm with Vodafone at the moment, think it's FTTC and I get 90+download and 20 upload for 35pm was 30 but they increased it a short while ago
Was with EIR for a year when they did the free "Prime" offer and had the same service
My contract is up sometime in March and I expect to renew with Vodafone for 35 if not I might go to EIR again
Can't remember when I last paid more then what I'm now paying but would agree with fayf above that the "annual dance" is getting tougher
Just renewed with Vodafone again yesterday, was expecting to renew at the €35pm mark but also expecting the 11.2% increase to be added on in April as well, bringing my monthly cost up to around the €41pm mark!!
So imagine my surprise when I renewed at €30pm fixed till March 24 and the "always connected" add on thrown in for free which should have cost an extra €5 pm month.
So yes there still is good deals to be had but you have to be willing to push for them :)

One thing to watch out for and it's something I also noticed when renewing my gas and electricity with Bord Gais, is they are now in the negotiating dance starting to use "ex vat" as a way of offering you a better price, while I understand this method for business customers, residential customers should always be quoted "incl vat"

One thing to watch out for and it's something I also noticed when renewing my gas and electricity with Bord Gais, is they are now in the negotiating dance starting to use "ex vat" as a way of offering you a better price, while I understand this method for business customers, residential customers should always be quoted "incl vat"
This is nothing new with Bord Gais. They quote excl VAT prices to their residential customers all the time.

Switched from VM last year, as I was tired of the annual dance to get a discount. We have FTTH as an alternative, but the hassle / uncertainty of switching put me off.

Glad I bit the bullet though, as the service has been rock solid. Now we're on the Openeir network, we can avail of Sky, Vodafone, Pure, Digiweb, Eir themselves, basically whoever has the best deal going. We've just switched after our first year, all done remotely, and all went smoothly. We use our own router, and aside from updating the provider login information, all our devices continue to work on the existing network. Unless VM significantly reduce their pricing vs Openeir providers, I don't ever see us going back to them.

Switched from VM last year, as I was tired of the annual dance to get a discount. We have FTTH as an alternative, but the hassle / uncertainty of switching put me off.

Glad I bit the bullet though, as the service has been rock solid. Now we're on the Openeir network, we can avail of Sky, Vodafone, Pure, Digiweb, Eir themselves, basically whoever has the best deal going. We've just switched after our first year, all done remotely, and all went smoothly. We use our own router, and aside from updating the provider login information, all our devices continue to work on the existing network. Unless VM significantly reduce their pricing vs Openeir providers, I don't ever see us going back to them.
Which company did you go with?

Back