Motor Being insured for another car

dodo

I have a full B driving license, I am a named driver on my wife's policy which is 3rd party fire & theft,
Policy states that Policy holder (the wife) if have B license may also drive with permission of owner any private car they do not own.

My sister has a full license and has full comprehensive insurance on her own policy .

My question is , can I drive her car with her permission,
asking now due to she can't contact her insurance company until Monday and can't find her insurance paperwork.
Need her car early Monday 6am.

Re: Been insured in another car

No. You are only a named driver. Driving other cars extension only extends to the policy holder.

are you a named driver on your sisters policy, or does she have open driving that might cover you? Read her policy/certificate to check.

As PeteB says, you as a named driver, do NOT enjoy the driving other cars extension.

An area of great misunderstanding in motor insurance is the scope of the cover to drive. Two specific problems arise. When other named drivers appear on the certificate of insurance, this does not give them cover to drive other vehicles, unless that other vehicle is insured for that driver. The misunderstanding arises because the certificate does give the policyholder, but not the other driver, the cover to drive another vehicle. But that leads to the second problem. The extension to drive another vehicle does not usually give comprehensive cover to the second vehicle, but only the basic requirements of the Road Traffic Act 1988, namely, cover against third party liability. The Ombudsman makes no criticism against insurers for this, it is merely apart of motor insurance law. He does suggest, however, that it might be worthwhile for certificates to reflect this all important point in clearly expressed language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back