Barclays Wealth International Euro Account

TheBeatMan

I am thinking of opening a Barclays Wealth International Bonus Saver account in Euros held in the London Knightsbridge branch ? My reason for doing this is to try to avoid my Euro savings being converted into punts if Ireland was to leave the Euro.

Would a Euro account held in this London based bank be protected from any automatic conversion if Ireland left the Euro ?

Also if the Euro was to break up what currency would Euros held in Barclays Wealth be converted to ?

Has anyone opened one of these accounts and if so what are they like to deal with ?

Who knows what will happen? It's just a guessing game really. However I opened one of these, or something similar, can't remember exact name of account but it is in Knightsbridge and it's in euro. Was not that complicated, had to send over certified id etc and had lengthy phone call from them wanting to know why I wanted to open account, they seemed happy enough with reason so rest was done by mail and email. I have done several bank transfers to there but have never spoken or contacted them since as haven't needed to.

It is a guessing game as to what would happen.

One plausible/speculative outcome is that you would be offered a choice of currencies to convert to.

I've set up a euro account in Knightsbridge as well. Easy enough to get set up - from what I recall you are required to have a min balance in euros of GBP 10,000 in order to avoid fees (I think). Had to send certified ID etc. Interest rate offered isnt great but feel more comfortable having my cash there than with an irish bank.

Back