Banks Offer in relation to Ombudsman Appeal

sam27

Hi there,

I helped my friend recently on an appeal to Ombudsman.

It was in relation to taking out three standing orders without permission and after the cessation date of same. This amounted to just under €100.

Submitted appeal and received letter from Bank offering €150 compensation with no acceptance of liability on their behalf.

So she accept or reject offer and let Ombudsman decide?

We want them to admit liability though, as they were in the wrong, and I dont think they should have sent copy of offer letter to the Ombudsman?

The ombudsman is entitled to copies of relevant information from Banks in order to assist with a decision.

What differance does it make to you whether they admit liability or not ? If it's principle I suggest you listen to Groucho Marx - I have principles you know, and if you don't like them I have others ......

Are you serious. What they are saying is well compensate you but we did nothing wrong on our part.

Im fed up of all lies told by banks and bankers. Time for them to own up for mistakes.

The ombudsman is entitled to copies of relevant information from Banks in order to assist with a decision.

Would a Barrister go into Court and tell the judge that the other party was made an offer, tells him the offer & the other side refuses the said offer.

I don't think so?

Would a Barrister go into Court and tell the judge that the other party was made an offer, tells him the offer & the other side refuses the said offer.

I don't think so?

I think what they actually can do is tell the court how much they are happy to pay to settle, lodge that money into the court and if the offer is refused and the court ends up awarding less than the amount lodged then the plaintiff also has to cover the defendant's costs.

The bank messed up to the tune of €100 and is offering €150 as compensation.

How much hassle and delay is this admission of liability actually worth? It looks to me like they are admitting some liability anyway by putting you in a better position than you were in.

I think what they actually can do is tell the court how much they are happy to pay to settle, lodge that money into the court and if the offer is refused and the court ends up awarding less than the amount lodged then the plaintiff also has to cover the defendant's costs.

The bank messed up to the tune of €100 and is offering €150 as compensation.

How much hassle and delay is this admission of liability actually worth? It looks to me like they are admitting some liability anyway by putting you in a better position than you were in.

If they had offered this to me prior to making application to Ombudsman, then I probably would have accepted. However, they refused to reimburse me at all.

Secondly, my point in relation to the offer. Would the judge know about the lodgement into Court and would he/she know the amount?

In my opinion, they should have sent me that offer without prejudice. And if I accepted, then notify the Ombudsman of the acceptance.

It's pretty standard in legal and other cases for companies to offer settlements without admitting liability.

If you are happy with the money, then you should simply accept it.

The Ombudsman is unlikely to give you any more.

The practical problem is that the Ombudsman is overloaded. this is pushing much more serious cases out to around a year or so to resolve. The banks often don't investigate the smaller cases and just settle.

If you want to argue the facts of the case, then maybe the bank will tell the Ombudsman their side of the story.

Brendan

Thanks for all replies.

The Bank should have been more amicable when approached first. They would not listen to fact or reason.

Still undecided.

Your friend should decide for herself. You seem to have a different agenda and not affected whatever way this case goes. I ask again if the bank admits liabilty what differance does that make ? Are you going to take out an ad in the paper and tell the world ?

Your friend should decide for herself. You seem to have a different agenda and not affected whatever way this case goes. I ask again if the bank admits liabilty what differance does that make ? Are you going to take out an ad in the paper and tell the world ?

What a stupid statement to make. Some of us have morals and principles. Some day you find yourself in a position where you want the truth to be told and youll realise then what I mean.

What a stupid statement to make. Some of us have morals and principles. Some day you find yourself in a position where you want the truth to be told and youll realise then what I mean.

I think you need to take a step back. What do you want them to do? Take out a front page advertisement in the national media to admit they messed up standing orders worth €100. You won. Enjoy it and get on with your life.

2 sé

Hi there,

I helped my friend recently on an appeal to Ombudsman.

It was in relation to taking out three standing orders without permission and after the cessation date of same. This amounted to just under €100.

Submitted appeal and received letter from Bank offering €150 compensation with no acceptance of liability on their behalf.

So she accept or reject offer and let Ombudsman decide?

Sounds like the standing order was set up with no expiry / cessation date. Three subsequent payments were processed before your friend noticed.

Looks like a genuine human error.

Sounds like the standing order was set up with no expiry / cessation date.

OP states there was a cessation date. Is it common for standing orders wtih a cessation date to continue, or is it a genuine error. Is it up to the account holder to notice, certainly one should be checking one's accounts regularly.

Sam27 the bank has refunded you and compensated you, it is not at all clear what more you want? You want them to admit their liability?

Back