Bank Account Issue

P

propertyprof

I am now living in England and have been for the past 8 years. I have had the same account here with a British bank since I moved and I used to have an Accent account with BoI when I was a college in Ireland.

I dont think that account is still live - I havent received a statement to my Ma's address at home but I am not 100% sure its closed.

Now that i am considering moving home i have a few questions.

How do I find out if the accent account is still live - I have got documentation from that account.

Would a bank let me open an account on line using my Ma's address?

Has anyone been in a similar situation and what course of action would you advise?

regards

Its probably stil alive unless flagged as dormant and the money given to Minister O Cuiv

Ring your branch !!!!

If your account is still open you can re-activate. Given that you are only away for eight years same won't have been handed over to NTMA (has to be dormant for 15 years first).

However, to re-activate you will need to produce photo id (passport/driving licence), and a utility bill/govt dept letter to your home address. I supect you'll have the former but perhaps not the latter (for your Irish address).

Options: produce photo id and proof of address in UK (statement address will be amended to UK address), but you can change again when you get home or wait until you get home and obtain proof of address for here e.g. PPS No letter from the Revenue Commissioners.

Hope that helps.

BM

If your account is still open you can re-activate. Given that you are only away for eight years same won't have been handed over to NTMA (has to be dormant for 15 years first).

However, to re-activate you will need to produce photo id (passport/driving licence), and a utility bill/govt dept letter to your home address. I supect you'll have the former but perhaps not the latter (for your Irish address).

Options: produce photo id and proof of address in UK (statement address will be amended to UK address), but you can change again when you get home or wait until you get home and obtain proof of address for here e.g. PPS No letter from the Revenue Commissioners.

Hope that helps.

BM

thanks for that, whats a PPS letter?

PPS - Personal Public Service No - number you'll need if earning in Ireland.

BM

Is that my social welfare number?? I've never heard of PPS No. before, is it new?

Also when you say a government letter - what sort of stuff does this include - does it include driving licence of social welfare letters

are full details of PPS number, eligability, etc from the Irish Government OASIS [Online Access to Services, Information and Support] site, a wealth of information.

are full details of PPS number, eligability, etc from the Irish Government OASIS [Online Access to Services, Information and Support] site, a wealth of information.

So its just my old RSI number, thanks!

Hope that helps.

BM

What type of Government letters would be acceptable?

What type of Government letters would be acceptable?

[broken link removed] may be of some help (section on proof of address).

I'd suggest something like a Balancing Statement or update of Tax Credits would be the easiest as you'll probably be looking for these anyway sooner or later.

[broken link removed] may be of some help (section on proof of address).

I'd suggest something like a Balancing Statement or update of Tax Credits would be the easiest as you'll probably be looking for these anyway sooner or later.

Thats exactly what i was looking for, thanks!

can I get any of these sorted out before I go home - I will be registered at my parents address anyway so its will be ok from the letters/document ot go to that address - which is probably the same address that i was registered for back when I was at GMIT

can I get any of these sorted out before I go home

By contacting Revenue (Border Midlands West Region 1890 777 425 - [email protected]) you should be able to apply for your Certificate of Tax Free Allowance (or just send in the [broken link removed] in advance). By e-mailing you could also request your Balancing Statement (P21) [no need to fill out an aplication form as needed for the Certificate of Tax Free Allowance].

P21 Balancing Statement

1. I need a P21 to apply for a grant - what is a P21 and how do I get one? You may need to send a PAYE Balancing Statement (Form P21) to your Local Authority, Bank, Building Society etc. as proof of earnings for the purpose of obtaining an education grant, a house or a loan etc. A PAYE Balancing Statement gives details of your total income, tax credits and PAYE tax paid for a particular tax year. It also shows whether you have overpaid or underpaid tax for the year. If you have overpaid tax, a cheque for the amount overpaid will be attached. If you have underpaid tax your district office will indicate if, and how the underpayment will be collected - usually by reduction of your tax credits for a subsequent tax year.

Back