Back-to-Work Enterprise Allowance

I

itcontractor

Hi all,

I am currently getting Job Seekers Allowance - been getting it for about 2 months now. I didnt get JSB before claiming JSA as I was overseas for a while so didnt have any stamps. Anyway I am trying to get off the dole but like many I am finding it difficult to get a full time permanent job...

Anyway the reason for my post (rant) is just to say I think it is silly that you need to be claiming JSA for 12 months before you can get the Back To Work Enterprise Allowance.

I work in IT and many companies out there dont want\cant afford to hire a full time IT person in their business so I want to go down the road of setting up a company so I can take on contracts supporting these companies - The BTWEA would help take the gamble out of going out there and starting a business but I have to be on the dole for 12 months before I qualify for this....it doesnt make sense surely if I start a company and start making money and paying taxes on profits and VAT its in everyones interest - Why do I have to wait 12 months :( To make matters worse if I was recently released from prison I would qualify for BTWEA straight away....

Its just hard to take the gamble on starting a business without the safety net of the BTWEA.

Got to try and find some other safety net now... any suggestions? An IT Contracting company isnt very exciting so would I get any sort of grants?

Hi
Tell me about it, I was lucky enough to don't have to wait for two years because the rules just changed on the budget before last, I had the same feelings as you have, but i didn't contemplate the prison option:).

You may get extra supports if you are starting a business, for example grants for training, market research, business plans or book-keeping and access to loans to buy equipment.
You may also get assistance in paying for public liability insurance - either €1,269.74 or 50% of the cost, whichever is lower.
Your local Partnership Company or Facilitator will tell you what supports you may get.
You should do a 'Start Your Own Business Course' before you begin self-employment. Try the SW92 form from the welfare dept.

Take care

Back