Life AVIVA appointing Brokers

Starbuck

I just got a letter from AVIVA, saying they are appointing an Insurance Broker to handle my Life Policy. This seems to be related to the closing down of AVIVA's own branch network?

Can anyone say what they think of this move? Does it have potential for screwups, or new costs? Should I look at changing the Broker they are selecting?

Hi Starbuck

It may lead to the broker contacting you for a review etc. Not necessarily a bad thing but if you want to go direct you should just move to another life office. I have no idea how they would select a broker though what are the parameters for picking one. I thought they would have just had a branch direct financial advisor. Is it just a standard term assurance policy?

Hi CF, my local office was in Swords, but I think it's been closed down. In fact I thought they were closing them ALL down! If not, there's no reason why I couldn't just use another of their offices which is remaining open.
On the other hand - any calls to AVIVA Customer Service are routed to a call centre in India. I've already had experience of dealing with them and they've messed things up magnificently (e.g. Losing a large Credit Card transaction).
Maybe an Irish Broker would be a better solution.

The criteria for recommending a new broker is most likely geographical. If you dont like the broker they appoint due to their branch closing, you can always choose another to represent you.

There shouldnt be an additional cost to you unless you agree one with the new broker and overall you should find the experience of dealing with a broker better than dealing with a call centre. Thats a huge generalisation as there are many great people in call centres but if you ring a call centre several times you may get a different person each time where as if you ring a broker, more than likely you will be able to talk to the same person each time who is aware of previous conversations.

I should say I have some biase on this issue as I am an independent broker and can only give comment on feedback that has been given to me from my own customers.

Hope this helps.

The dog that bit in the past seems to have learnt to sit up with forepaws raised expectantly thesedays!

I got those Aviva letters a few weeks back. I don't have any contact with Aviva apart from annual statements/amendmends. My local Aviva/Hibernian branch in Lucan closed a couple of years back. They will transfer me to a broker in Bray, which is not too far away but hardly convenient if I wanted a meeting. After heavy losses of 2008 my main concern is that growth continues to reverse those losses.

Hi Starbuck, all of the aviva branch network for the life company is now closed. I used to work there a few years back and also have some colleagues in there at present. They do not have a direct sales force nor do they intend to have any going forward. Some of their calls are relocated to bangalor alright. I do not work for an independent brokerage but a specific life office so there are advantages and disadvantages for both the broker and going direct. Hope it works out whatever you choose. Best of luck.

hi Steiner, Lucan and bray seems bizzare, maybe it was a mix up from their bray office, seems distant. In any case you will find adviksers willing to travel these days more often than not.

Hi guys - When Aviva closed their regional offices, the book of business was purchased by brokers. So in the case of the bray office - it was a broker in Bray who purchased the book of business from Aviva.

A broker is in many ways better than a life office. The broker can research the market for you and outline the differences between various products that you are looking at.

btw - I am a Financial Broker

Back