Attorney General says judges should actively manage litigation as it gets ‘ever more protracted’ and costly - Irish Times

WizardDr

I must say that the comments by Rossa Fanning Attorney General are pretty decisive and wouldn't have gone down well in the Four Courts though sad people like me who read some of the cases he refers to would have been in agreement.

He referred to the Domino Pizza case recently which the Revenue are celebrating which I think was very narrow on Revenue law and is complete contrast to the UK Supreme Court case on Deliveroo.

Here is a link to the Irish Times - if you have issues reading it I can put it up.

Two brief observations if I may please.

1. Some judgments are lengthy of necessity.
However, I see no objection to a judge / court providing an executive summary for the benefit of the civilians who may need to know.
An executive summary can be written like a law report on a case.

2. Why do we not adopt the UK system whereby established practicing solicitor or barristers can be requested to sit as temporary judges known as recorders.
You might be asked to sit on a particular case or to sit at a particular venue for a specific session.
Although there are still inefficiencies in the UK system recorders could be used to great effect to clear lists.
BTW recorders are not be regarded as judicial yellow packs. They have rendered great service in the UK.

Last edited:
Back