Attic Conversion

taytoman

I am about to get an attic conversion done in next few weeks. Builder wants to put slab insulation in stud partition walls and then in roof of living space, but not in roof that is outside the living space and forms the roof of the storage space where the water tank etc goes.

The house is near a busy road and there is background noise

He says that if you insulate this as well, you will end up with condensation problems / poor air circulation. I am concerned about road noise / heat loss as the eves of any roof have ?small air gaps and presumably heat will be lost throu the access storage hatches / noise can come in throu these from the uninsulated areas?

Should the roof of the storage areas behind the stud partition walls be insulated as well, or is there a danger of excess condensation as builder states? is it safe to block off the air gaps in the eves areas of the roof?

Last edited:
whoo..
Builder wants to put slab insulation in stud partition walls and then in roof of living space, but not in roof that is outside the living space and forms the roof of the storage space where the water tank etc goes.
ok, so when it freezes..
The house is near a busy road and there is background noise
ok - so the best of insualtion and air-tightness should be applied. please note the words 'air-tightness' as many builds don't
He says that if you insulate this as well, you will end up with condensation problems / poor air circulation.
i see the issue of retaining attic ventilation relevant, but both separate issues solvable. this may be to suit your builder, but as you have not retained any professional consultancy..
I am concerned about road noise / heat loss as the eves of any roof have ?small air gaps and presumably heat will be lost throu the access storage hatches / noise can come in throu these from the uninsulated areas?
yes
Should the roof of the storage areas behind the stud partition walls be insulated as well, or is there a danger of excess condensation as builder states?
the strategy the builder is ok, but as you suggest what about air-tightness + placing the tanking in the cold may lead to freezing in the winter
is it safe to block off the air gaps in the eves areas of the roof?
no

Back