Motor Attempted Theft

E

El Nino

Hi,

My car was broken into the other night and quite a bit of damage was done to the doors with a crowbar and one of the windows smashed. I rang the insurance company and they said to bring it to one of their registered garages to be assessed. The guy in the garage said the damage was worth far more than the car and advised not to make a claim as the company would hold it against me.

I was under the impression that if the car is written off the insurers pay the mkt value less any excess and take the car but as it was theft it wouldn't affect my no claims bonus. Can anyone see why it would not be better to claim for it? Would it have an effect on future premiums?

Thanks

Who said the theft wouldnt affect your no claims bonus? Unless it was your insurer telling you that - it will!

This is what the insurance said:

"In any consecutive three-year renewal period You may incur Two unlimited Third Party or Accidental Damage claims without impact on Your No Claim Bonus entitlement.
However, where You incur more than two of these unlimited claims in any consesecutive three-year renewal period, Your No Claim Bonus will step-back by three years.
In addition, any claim payment for Windscreen Breakage, Fire or Theft will be paid without impact on Your No Claim Bonus entitlement."

... In addition, any claim payment for Windscreen Breakage, Fire or Theft will be paid without impact on Your No Claim Bonus entitlement."
I think they're maybe playing semantics here. Your car wasn't stolen (attempted theft according to your thread title) therefore it suffered malicious damage which they will probably maintain isn't covered. Any insurance guys knocking around?

Back