Askaboutmoney needs a few bob...

This might be very late but what triggers me is the cost of :
Hosting, management and back-up €2060 £1648 ????

@Brendan all those good money advises from you from time to time, but I think you get here ripped off.

Being myself in that business ...

Estimated over the top, if you rent an own physical server you pay roughly 50 - 80£ a month (normal scale server) and you add 10£ at max for a backup solution. That would do the job for sure

Lets assume you don't want to mess with all of those technical details for Askaboutmoney I would not even use an own server I would host it on a premiere hosting farm where you get guaranteed resources (not one of those cheap 5,99 hoster which will cost you much more at the end) for roughly 20-40€/month "managed" hosting. There are a few good ones in the market worth that money.

I understand that a migration might be a too big of a pain at this stage but that only means you have put yourself into a hostage situation by your current provider.

I would go there and make sure they understand that the party times of overcharging are over.

And on the other side, aren't you expensing this with your business anyway? I would do so as promotion. ;-)

However it's you and and your advisor colleagues who constantly keep saying "shop around and get value for money" and we all complain about RTE having to stay within reason for our TV licence money.

I am willed to donate a few bucks and also time to help out for the future if appreciated.

Just my 2 cent's

Edit: I presumed were not talking about for example more traffic than 1TB a month or no more than 2,5 million visits/month.

Hi madman

I have few technical skills. We got free hosting before, and it was dreadful. We got cheap hosting and it was not much good. Nimbus do a good job and monitor the site for us. Update the software and put up new stuff when we need it.

So we stick with them.

Brendan

Could you please post your bank account details as you had them earlier as I wish to make a small donation by transferring directly from my own bank a/c to aam a/c

Hi Dermot

It's in the first post, but here they are anyway.

Brendan Burgess
AIB 52 Upper Baggot Street
Sort code 931063
Account number 35797273

Brendan, can you say how close we're getting to the target?
I have donated, but am prepared to top up if necessary, to keep the Really Annoying Ad away!

Brendan, Thanks to you and all the posters for your great advice over the past few years, Have just donated and like Gervan would be willing to go again if the target is not reached, Sincere thanks Cumnor.

The ad just proves how annoying it is now you've put it everywhere. It's already driving me nuts. And if it were flashing or popping up I'd be in despair. Never mind what those things do to the computer.

Brendan, can you say how close we're getting to the target?
I have donated, but am prepared to top up if necessary, to keep the Really Annoying Ad away!

Hi Gervan

The target is €2,000.

It stalled at around €€1,100 up to yesterday...

The "really annoying ad" has worked a treat and it's now up to €1,631.

I have toned down the ad a bit, but I will leave it there as the old version just disappeared and people who thought "Great, I will make a donation" subsequently just forgot about it when the ad disappeared.

No need for anyone to make a top-up donation. I think we will probably reach the €2,000 fairly soon.

I will make a donation (small) but I hope it helps, I've learned a lot from this forum & have been grateful. Only problem is, it'll have to be at the end of the month as things a bit tight! But I'll be happy to do it then.
Best of luck

The banner is all fine and well for a day or two, but as long as it remains there, you run the risk of frightening users away and in the longer term, damaging the site's brand.

These days, any site with big garish banner tends to be dodgy. Many reputable sites carry ads but these are generally sufficiently tasteful so as not to annoy users.

The banner is all fine and well for a day or two, but as long as it remains there, you run the risk of frightening users away and in the longer term, damaging the site's brand.

Hi Tommy, it won't be there for long as money is flying in.

But I will take it down for new users and visitors so only registered users and Frequent Posters see it. They are the ones most likely to donate and least likely to be frightened by it.

Brendan

Back