Askaboutmoney needs a few bob...

Naughto

It's wonderful that you will make such a generous donation to AAM.

Just give what you can afford. Your generous donation of €5 will be greatly appreciated.

Marion

I think it's fantastic that AAM has somebody who is willing to be its voice - Brendan.

Marion

I don't think Brendan has ever purported to be the voice of AAM, nor could/should he. He has no mandate to be the voice of such an incredibly diverse group of people.
Having said that, for me it's value for money at a modest donation (as long as he doesn't do a Martin Lewis, in which case my donation ought to be buying stock options).

http://m.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jun/01/martin-lewis-sells-moneysavingexpert

In all fairness. Nobody else has raised the profile of AAM in the media.

Brendan represents the AAM community of AAM contributors. Mind you, his views are his personal views. He has never purported to state that his views are those of AAM. He is always introduced as the founder of AAM.

Marion

To be honest, I've closed off the post more times this week without even giving it a 2nd thought - I wasn't going to donate for no other reason other than I'm pretty skint like most people. But since reading the comments, I've had a change of heart - it won't be much towards Brendan's 'profit' (sorry couldn't resist). Thank you for operating the site, I've found it useful & interesting. Much appreciate the lack of ad's as otherwise I wouldn't have access to it in work.

Much appreciate the lack of ad's as otherwise I wouldn't have access to it in work.

JAM

Thanks for the donation.

That is very interesting about the ads blocking access to it in work. I wasn't aware that sites containing ads were selectively blocked.

Brendan

JAM

Thanks for the donation.

That is very interesting about the ads blocking access to it in work. I wasn't aware that sites containing ads were selectively blocked.

Brendan

Hi Brendan, the site itself wouldn't be 'blocked' but it would be dependent on the type of ads that popped up whether or not we can view it. We have very limited access in our work, alot of ads slow down the server making it sometimes impossible to view the site content. With 'Big Brother' watching every keystroke, I tend to be very careful which sites I view while in work. ;)

Depends on the ads. Text ads won't cause a slow down , flash ads are very heavy on bandwidth and will slow things down.

It is also a pain in the backside to get money out of the likes of Google etc. Also you get problems with the type of ads being served which may be inappropriate for AAM.

I had ads on my website for a while, it drove away members and increased hassle for me and the other admins.

Brendan's profile has been raised by AAM and he has got publicity for it. He has also taken some stick too. Whether you agree with his opinions or not, I've found this site informative, useful and entertaining. As a consumer information site it's excellent. Brendan can take the €593 profit (nothing compared to what the CAI guys got).

I've made a small donation, but it comes nowhere near the value of the advice I've got, savings I've made or the entertainment from some of the posts I've got.

So credit to Brendan, the mods and all who have contributed to the site to make it such a valuable resource. Nice to keep it ad free too.

593 is needed

I have it on good authority that the site owner and the mods hold a weekend away of booze, drugs and debauchery this time every year

This thread is to raise the cash ;)

From my post count it can be deduced that AAM is a hit with me. I have learnt an absolutely amazing amount. I like debating. Whatever anyone says negative about BB, whom I don't always agree with, he always let's us disagree, that is a great strength of this site. I like the moderation, took me a while to get used to it but have the hand of it now (most of the time), it was a learning curve for me. In addition I've been using AAM to get my English back up to speed, and to practice my writing skills which had gotton a bit rusty after many years abroad.

I cannot partake in any other of the well known forums (is that the right word?) as everyone seems to be fighting, they seem to be making 'internal' jokes etc and have issues that I cannot figure out and don't seem to give a lot of information.

No ads ever please. Would have no problem if BB made a profit, but if he did presumably he wouldn't ask for donations. My contribution will be made today.

As it's AAM and I'm a contributor I wish to common on the 'profit'. It is a surprlus not a profit. Presumably it will go towards the current year running costs and be wiped out.

Back