Case study ARF v Annuity

Of course, a 50/50 approach is almost always a reasonable compromise too.
You mean 50/50 ARF/annuity?
Is that an option with most or all pensions?
Is it possible with a PRSA split into multiple separate accounts?

Last edited:
You mean 50/50 ARF/annuity?
Is that an option with most or all pensions?
Is it possible with a PRSA split into multiple sepaeate accounts?
I did mean a 50/50 arf annuity; I hadn’t considered that option MAY NOT beavailable for some, I assume you can split a prsa into multiple accounts but would defer to someone with better knowledge to confirm

Last edited:
I assume you can split a prsa into multiple accounts but would defer to someone with better knowledge to confirm
Yes - you definitely can - at least when transferring from one PRSA provider to another. I've done this myself to allow for flexibility in terms of retiring different accounts at different times if that happens to be beneficial.

Zurich.ie has a site which allows you to calculate annuity rates and I've been regularly doing personal quotes. Rates are on upward trend as we know and to illustrate that here are some figures (age 61, no escalation, single). Usually the Zurich rates that I've seen are better than the equivalent IL.

4th May 2023: 4.79209%
21st Aug 2023: 5.01280%
2nd Oct 2023: 5.1746%

Do you, or anybody, have a link to see current annuity rates in Ireland?

My wife is taking early retirement in Feb 2024, aged 56, single annuity preferred, pot value of 120k.

Do you, or anybody, have a link to see current annuity rates in Ireland?

My wife is taking early retirement in Feb 2024, aged 56, single annuity preferred, pot value of 120k.
See post #59 on page 3 for a link to Zurich’s.

See post #59 on page 3 for a link to Zurich’s.
Isn't that an ARF calculator but the previous poster was looking for an annuity calculator?

Edit: oh, it's an ARF calculator but compares the result to an annuity? It's a bit confusing in my opinion.

The above calculators will give indicative quotes from the two providers, Irish Life and Zurich Life. There are three others - Aviva, New Ireland and Standard Life who don't publish their annuity rates online as far as I know. So you can either contact each of these companies yourself for a quote or ask a Financial Broker for a quote, making sure that they are looking at quotes from all five.

Isn't that an ARF calculator but the previous poster was looking for an annuity calculator?

Edit: oh, it's an ARF calculator but compares the result to an annuity? It's a bit confusing in my opinion.
Yes exactly. Quite a useful way to present both options. It’s sophisticated enough to calculate/ estimate how
long an ARF might last depending on your investment preferences.

Back