Are you going to divide your estate equally between your children?

To answer your question " Why should they get money from their parents if they didn't talk to them ?". The simple answer is that the parents decided that they should and that is a good enough reason.

No. Not a good enough reason. Is this done out of some sort of guilt feeling? They are thinking that "they" did something wrong to make the child do a disappearing act during their lifetime. So now they are tripping over themselves to make up for whatever they think they did?

When the child was the selfish one all along?

Why should your sibling get an equal portion the same as you if they did a disappearing act during your parents lifetime? I am sure your parents must have been heartbroken by the coldness of this act?

Dont you think that my sibling was heartbroken that this was the only avenue left available? It wasnt an easy choice.

Isn't it very sad that a parent can hold a grudge or similar against a child that can fester for years without ever being resolved. Can parents be that nasty? No forgiveness.
Likewise it is very sad that a child can hold a similar anger toward a parent to the grave.
I know that there can be exceptional circumstances of serious abuse etc but family rows, arguments, emotional outbursts are no reason to hold a grudge for life.

Isn't it very sad that a parent can hold a grudge or similar against a child that can fester for years without ever being resolved. Can parents be that nasty? No forgiveness.
Likewise it is very sad that a child can hold a similar anger toward a parent to the grave.
I know that there can be exceptional circumstances of serious abuse etc but family rows, arguments, emotional outbursts are no reason to hold a grudge for life.

Yes it is very sad. And yes, parents can be that nasty - possibly as a result of their own backgrounds/upbringing as well.

Id say there are a lot of cases of unresolved issues that end up in grudges going on til the grave and beyond - obviously there are exceptional circumstances of abuse etc... but Id be pretty sure there are also relatively 'ordinary' things, but you get two stubborn individuals (the apples doesnt fall far from the tree eh?) and then thats it.

As the saying goes - you cant choose your family.

Zero Will = Zero relatives trying to get included when person is old and vulnerable + Zero challenges when they pass away.

Make sure everyone knows where all the bank accounts are otherwise an unfound bank account can end up as a dormant account in a bank, never to be found.
A child not keeping in touch with his/her parents is like a death for the parents. Listening to the Joe show during the week where children are in far flung places such as Australia and New Zealand was very sad. Even sadder when your own child is living in the same city as yourself but does not keep in touch.

My view would be to divide everything equally and that's what we've done in our wills with relations appointed as guardians. My mother is leaving everything equally and my father is leaving one of us out of the will as a punishment. We haven't figured out which one of us it is but we'll have the last laugh as we'll agree to split it evenly. But what with the property collapse and shares nosediving there may not be anything worth fighting over. In any case with old age there may be costs that will have to be paid for out of assets and then there will be nothing at all.

Unfortunately he's being deadly serious, but we are taking no notice. We learnt that a long time ago.....

Well then, so what happened Bronte?

Back