Are software engineers entitled to any expenses in employment allowance?

I've emailed Revenue asking them for clarification and will post anything I get back.

kazbah said:
I get €85 and have since 2001.
I get a similar 'professional' allowance, and it's meant to be increased slightly each year, in line with inflation or whatever. But every single year I have to chase them to get them to apply the increase.

Mind you, right now I'm still waiting to receive my Notice of Determination of Credits for the 'coming' year that started 6 weeks ago (not to mention a reply to a claim/request for an adjustment that I sent to them last July, and the previous March, and the previous January before that...) :(

Dr M my €85 has never changed would it be worth asking the Tax Office should it reflect inflation.
TBH I don't even know where it came from. I don't have any P60s pre 2001 as it was all temporary work. I'm not sure when it appeared.

kazbah said:
Dr M my €85 has never changed would it be worth asking the Tax Office should it reflect inflation.
You need to figure out (a) what it is and (b) if you are actually entitled to it first! It could be an expenses in employment allowance/credit but it could be something else.
DrMoriarty said:
I get a similar 'professional' allowance, and it's meant to be increased slightly each year, in line with inflation or whatever. But every single year I have to chase them to get them to apply the increase.
What profession if you don't mind me asking? You're not a real doctor I take it and self employed don't qualify for the expenses in employment allowances/credits. ;)

ClubMan said:
You need to figure out (a) what it is and (b) if you are actually entitled to it first! It could be an expenses in employment allowance/credit but it could be something else.

Well I rang the PAYE helpline and the girl said I was entitled to it as it was "probably" a professional credit and was very vague. Is it worth ringing again?

Yes - you need to find out precisely what the allowance is and if you are actually entitled to it. If your tax affairs are not up to date then this is ultimately your responsibility and Revenue could always claw back any inapplicable allowances if/when they realise that they were claimed in error.

I never heard of this before. Just did a quick search on the revenue site and found this document which might be of help albeit for 2003/4 ....

[broken link removed]

go to page 28 - there's a fascinating list of "expenses due" for each employment category - have no idea how this works so if anyone can shed light that would great.

A version ([broken link removed]) of that list was referenced in the thread linked in my first post.

The only one that I could possibly see applying to software and electronic engineers would be
Engineering Industry and Electrical Industry

All unskilled workers and skilled or semi-skilled workers who do not bear the full cost of own tools and overalls
but I suspect that this is geared towards other occupations (e.g. electricians rather than software/electronic engineers)? :confused:

Shop Assistants get €97 maybe that's where my €85 arose from. If I'm no longer entitled to it have i covered my ass by ringing to enquire if I was eligible and I was told I was. I told the girl on the phone I have been a Software Engineer since 2001.

kazbah said:
If I'm no longer entitled to it have i covered my ass by ringing to enquire if I was eligible and I was told I was.
No - if you are not entitled to in then regardless of what you have already done you need to inform Revenue (e.g. in writing) that you no longer qualify for it and have been receiving it in error for a while. Once again - it is the individual's sole responsibility to ensure that his/her tax affairs are kept up to date.

ClubMan said:
No - if you are not entitled to in then regardless of what you have already done you need to inform Revenue (e.g. in writing) that you no longer qualify for it and have been receiving it in error for a while. Once again - it is the individual's sole responsibility to ensure that his/her tax affairs are kept up to date.

I feel there should be some reasonable onus on them if an enquiry is made to give an accurate response. I mean if I hadn't posted here I genuinely wouldn't know I am receiving this in error.

Regardless of what you feel about the matter - the facts are as I have posted them above.

ClubMan said:
What profession if you don't mind me asking? You're not a real doctor I take it... ;)
No — Great Continental Steamer, of course. ;)

Incidentally, that Revenue table of allowances (like many on their website) is out of date. My allowance as listed there is now 12% higher than the figure given. I'd suggest that anyone ringing up to enquire about their own allowance, if applicable, should quote that table to them, demand a clear answer as to what the 2006 figure is, and submit a retrospective claim in writing. Judging from my own experiences, you should get a response sometime in 2007 or 2008...

Would it be worth writing to them saying something along the lines of "I am a software engineer - please grant me any applicable expenses in employment allowances for the following tax years" and leaving it at that?!

DrMoriarty said:
...you should get a response sometime in 2007 or 2008
No, I'd say ring 'em up, get an up-to-date figure (it's their job, ffs!) and then write in asking for a back-dated credit of €X. I have unanswered queries going back to the 90s, because I didn't ask the 'right question'... :rolleyes:

DrMoriarty said:
No, I'd say ring 'em up, get an up-to-date figure (it's their job, ffs!) and then write in asking for a back-dated credit of €X. I have unanswered queries going back to the 90s, because I didn't ask the 'right question'... :rolleyes:

But if they fail to give you the right answer you're legally obliged to figure it out yourself if you get a penny more than you should :rolleyes:

kazbah said:
But if they fail to give you the right answer you're legally obliged to figure it out yourself if you get a penny more than you should :rolleyes:
Yes - or get independent, professional tax advice. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just stating facts here.

Guess how many millions of euro are foregone in unclaimed tax relief every year? Admittedly, tax relief on rent paid is apparently the largest category (value-wise) — not this kind of stuff.

Back