Are pension funds recovering generally?

STEINER

I received an annual pension statement today from Aviva. The fund grew by about 19%. Another year or two like that could reverse the losses from 2008/2009. Its a bit of good news for me on budget day.

Presumably 19% is good growth. Are pension funds recovering generally? What pension fund growth levels are other posters experiencing?

Last edited:
They’re at a high point now - around a 1-2% jump in the last week or two so your fund may be higher than your statement – and this time last year at a low – due to fears about Greece I think.

My fund lost around 7% from the beginning of Nov 11 to Dec 11, and then recovered all that lost ground by the start of Jan 2012. Amazing volatility over 50 days or so.

I’m up about 30% for the Dec 11 – Dec 12 period or probably 23% if I take away my on-going contributions. To bypass the Greek blip which exaggerates the growth I can go back to a 13 month period from Nov 2011 it’s up about 25% or maybe 18% less contributions.

Yea mine seems to have recovered a good bit. I seem to remember it down something like 17% a couple of years ago and recently it was back to -5% or so.
I'm with New Ireland.

Some reference points for the 12 months to December 12th

I shares MSCI World Index up 17.03%
I Shares Emerging Market Index up 17.31%
I Shares Global Real Estate up 27.98%
I shares Euro Inflation linked Bond fund up 12.52%
Vanguard Euro Investment Grade Bond index fund up 13.06%
I shares Euro Stoxx 600 up 20.11%

Source Bloomberg, all funds traded in Euros

As someone explained to me, recent market conditions have been like drinking from a fire hydrant. A monkey with a dart and a copy of the FT will have been making double digit returns.

Investors need to focus in the long term and their need, willingness and capacity to take risks, keeps costs down and diversify broadly.

Most funds sold in Ireland today do not do this.

Back