Are lenders more likely to give discounts on trackers if the ECB raises interest rates?

mloc

With talk of the ECB starting to increase rates in the near future, will this:
Increase the possibility of lenders doing early payment deals with customer to offload tracker mortgages from their books?
Decrease the possibility?
Have no impact on their decision?

I have a tracker mortgage of €190k at .5% above ECB with Danske/Pepper. I have the ability to pay this off earlier in small amounts, say an additional €4k/€5k per year over existing payments.
Based on what I have read here, I am holding off doing this if there is a possibility it would impede me from getting an early payment deal from the lender at some point in the future. If I thought an increase in ECB rates is making that a remoter possibility, I may start making the payments.

No chance IMHO ...if Danske were going to cut deals they'd have done so long before now. On the bright side .5% is a fantastic rate and IMHO it might yet be some time before the ECB starts to raise rates.

I think any increase in base ECB would reduce rather than increase the pressure on the bank, if there is any, to offer you a settlement.

Have you considered putting the money you have available into a pension. With money borrowed at such a cheap rate it seems a pity not to put it to work.

If you have a "spare" €5k a year, I'd put it in a pension. Assuming you are on the 40% tax rate (which most people with a "spare" €5k will be) then you'll get €2k back in tax (80 years tracker interest) plus the €5k goes to work for you and will probably earn a lot more more than the tracker would cost you over the long term. With money borrowed at that low rate, it's a no brainer.

Thanks for the feedback. I am already at my 25% max personal contribution into my company pension so that option is exhausted.
The spare cash is intermittent and that is why I thought putting it off the mortgage would be a good way of stopping it from being absorbed into my bottomless household budget.
Brendan had mentioned in a few threads the idea of holding off on paying down a tracker in case the various lenders ever come looking to cut an early payment deal.

Just hold off - when\if ECB rates start going up to 4% then you might pay off some of the mortgage with a lump sum you will have built up. Plus, its always better to have some cash for unforeseen things.

Back