Architect or engineer?

rt1983

Hi all. We are looking to make some structural changes and add a small extension to our house in the next few years. Our main issue is that our staircase is at the back of the house (behind the kitchen) and we'd like it incorporated into the main hallway. For various reasons (plumbing mainly) we don't think the stairs can be moved so instead we'd be looking at knocking through a wall to incorporate it into the hall. If we do this, we'll need to build on a small extension for a utility. I'm looking for an expert to advise us on the feasibility of this/recommend alternatives and draw up plans as well as advise us on possible costs. Who should I approach? TIA

I'd recommend an architect to work out what exactly to do, most of them should at least have an opinion on the structural impact. Once you are happy with the what bring in an engineer to verify and to size things properly. Most architects work very close with one or two structural engineers so would be easy enough to organise.
I find that architects are extremely useful to figure out how to optimise the space.

Back